Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Project wheelie

Country
    United States

Project wheelie

I made a joke a while back with one of my friends about doing a wheelie in the atom... and thought, hey, why not? What would it take? Not a whole lot of weight transfer available, but the front is is plenty light, so maybe I can pull this off.

(No, I don't seriously think I can do a wheelie, but I bet I can spin the tires through 3rd gear)

So.. enter the Borg Warner EFR series turbos. My friend Jeff Perrin has been doing some testing on Subarus with them, and so far has found that they fill a nich - same spool as a small turbo, but the power of a bigger turbo. Sounds perfect to me.

Right now, i'm running a GT2871R turbo, with a very mild tune, at 20psi, putting down a little over 300whp, and 280ft lbs of torque. Its VERY mild, and the engine and turbo are capable of much more, but I know with this tune I can run track day after track day without any damage.

The goal, with the EFR 6758 turbo is to run at 25psi. I've decided 20psi is just being a pussy basically, so its time to go big or go home. The EFR turbos have a much larger exhaust housing than the GT series turbo I have on now, so backpressure (and heat) should be much reduced as well.. more reason to allow more boost.

Yesterday, the turbo arrived. Today, I test fitted it. Its TIGHT, going to require modifying the wastegate can bracket to allow the wastegate can to clear the water pipe on the back of the ecotec engine (see 3rd picture), but other than that... well here are the pictures.

Country
    United States

Re: Project wheelie

Looks like a lot of fun. Did you consider extending the frame? Just kidding, and I still have mixed feelings on that

Country
    United States

No actually I hadn't, lol

Country
    United States

This is going to be another amazing project. (Huge Two Thumbs up and Popcorn eating smiley face)
    "Opportunities do not come to those who wait; they are captured by those who attack."

Neutron
    Country
    United States

I dont think that would fit for me at all since my turbo is rotated 180 from yours.

So dumb question, how much tuning is needed when you just swap a turbo?
    the high profile toy thrower

Country
    United States

Basically, I'll have to start over. I'm at 86% injector duty cycle right now, this turbo will put me up over 100%, so I'm going to have to install a raising rate fuel regulator to get me more juice. And then there is the MAF housing... it's too small, I'm hitting 11k at 20psi of boost with the smaller turbo, so I'll need to have a larger housing fabbed up.

The MAF sets not only the fueling, but also the row that you're going to hit on the advance table. In theory, if you have it all set right, you can run a smaller turbo on a car tuned with a big turbo, and it should be fine. And I've done that before. But theory and practice don't always work out.

Neutron
    Country
    United States

can that turbo rotate housings along the center axis?
    the high profile toy thrower

Country
    United States

Yes, absolutely. Exhaust/center/compressor all rotate seperately. I had to rotate the compressor just for this test fit, what you don't see in the pictures is my first fit attempt where the compressor outlet was facing the muffler, lol

Neutrino
    Country
    United States
    are you going to do a conversion to E85 as well?

what is your goal now for hp / tq

that one and only turboatom in UK popped a wheelie...how much hp did he have (and it was a honda so surely less tq)

just put some wrinkle wall slicks on and you should be golden

Country
    United States
    No, no E85 for me. The range decrease in gas mileage (and associated range reduction) doesnt' work for me.. there is only 1 gas station within 40 miles of me that sells the stuff.

Goal is 400whp and around 350ft lbs of torque. I'm sure I'll snap an axle at this point.

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast