Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Brammo/Atom 2 Rod-End Sleeve/Thumble Failure Warning

Neutrino
    Country
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bkthomps View Post
    rear going back together, thanks to silver for reminding me of the safety washers

front going together

http://i.imgur.com/Pzwk0Jy.jpg

just needy to adjust the toe and steering angles

ahhh yiissssss

Country
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bkthomps View Post
    rear going back together, thanks to silver for reminding me of the safety washers

By the way, the lower rod end on the rear is in compression, so the safety washer isn't needed there (IMHO).

I assume you switched to longer bolts to compensate for less thread being in the hole due to the safety washer? Common practice is 1x the thread diameter for minimum amount of engaged thread.

Electron
    Blog Entries
    Country
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry Kennedy View Post
    By the way, the lower rod end on the rear is in compression, so the safety washer isn't needed there (IMHO).

I assume you switched to longer bolts to compensate for less thread being in the hole due to the safety washer? Common practice is 1x the thread diameter for minimum amount of engaged thread.
    I'll double check, they did send new longer bolts but only sent 2

Country
    United States
    Any rod end not in double shear (captured) should have a safety washer. Your safety wiring skills are weak. (no offense..)

"A bolt that is properly safety wired just doesn't hold the fastener in place;it
    serves to pull it tighter. Each bolt holds the other and actually tightens the other if it starts to come loose."

Good safety wiring article:

http://www.bobmartinco.com/pdf/safety_tying_wire.pdf
    The power of an Atom is a terrible thing to waste! Atom owner/operator since 2007. The more you chase perfection,the faster it becomes. John Force for President! (I asked him once in person...he laughed)

Country
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MadMaxAtom View Post
    Any rod end not in double shear (captured) should have a safety washer.
    If you're talking about the ones on the bottom of the rear uprights, it isn't necessary. Let me explain: The safety washer is designed to keep the rod end from passing over wherever the safety washer is, if the ball of the rod end separates from the outer frame of the rod end. On the tops of the uprights, this is critical as the only thing that keeps the upright from separating from the A-arm is the ball of the rod end (and the safety washer, if present). Without a safety washer, if the ball separates, the remaining "hoop" of the rod end can pass over the head of the bolt. Bad.

On the bottom rear of the rear uprights is another rod end. It is pressed tightly against the upright by virtue of the welded "wye" of the arm it is threaded into. You can remove the bolt and you'll still have a hard time popping the upright out of the lower arm. In particular, there is no ability to pull the rod end away from the upright in the direction of the bolt head. Try it - remove the bolt and see if you can pull the arm away from the upright - you can't. If the "wye" of the lower arm breaks, which is the only way the rod end can move in that direction, you have bigger problems than a safety washer can deal with.

Neutron
    Country
    United States
    the safety wire isnt that bad. it would only turn a quarter turn at most in the wrong direction. I think you are being a little picky there Max . I havent seen any bolts on the car back out in 7 years.
    the high profile toy thrower

Country
    United States
    "I havent seen any bolts on the car back out in 7 years." Lucky you. I have. It's not pretty. Do something right or not at all. Sorry,that's the way I work.I do mechanical repair every day, every day, every day and I know the importance of doing something correctly. Mechanics is an exact science.
    As far as rod ends are concerned,you add a safety washer on any end that is not in double shear (captured} or you will fail tech inspection at most sanctioned racing events,regardless of how you feel about what you have done to the contrary. Rules are rules for a reason. If you don't want to protect yourself,think of the innocent other people in attendance at these events that your carelessness may injure.
    The power of an Atom is a terrible thing to waste! Atom owner/operator since 2007. The more you chase perfection,the faster it becomes. John Force for President! (I asked him once in person...he laughed)

Electron
    Blog Entries
    Country
    United States
    well, got it all back together, went for a test drive, and now for some reason the brand new front brake rotors (specifically the left side) contacts the ball joint/lower a-arm when turning hard right or braking hard. I am guessing this is the result of castor and suspension loading with the camber settings

I tried to set both camber to -1deg, so far no luck, tried more camber and it got better- but not resolved. has anyone else had this issue before?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12