Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Can anyone verify new registration rules in Texas?

Country
    United States
    In Texas, there is a VIN lookup on the web. It is used to check and see if the vehicle has title issues (maybe stolen), and what the presumptive value is. Texas will get their sales tax based on the presumptive value (typically).

If you are buying an Atom and it passes the VIN lookup, then you will likely have less issues at the local DMV office. That's not to say you are guaranteed success if it passes the lookup or you are guaranteed to fail if it doesn't pass. No two registering experiences will likely be the same when registering such a rarely seen vehicle. If you must register the vehicle for street use for you to purchase it, then you need to weigh the possibility that you won't get it registered. If you buy it and don't get it registered, then what are your available options? That question is rhetorical and will vary based on the buyer.

With most situations, where there is a will there is a way.

Fermion
    Country
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by jlester View Post
    In Texas, there is a VIN lookup on the web. It is used to check and see if the vehicle has title issues (maybe stolen), and what the presumptive value is. Texas will get their sales tax based on the presumptive value (typically).

If you are buying an Atom and it passes the VIN lookup, then you will likely have less issues at the local DMV office. That's not to say you are guaranteed success if it passes the lookup or you are guaranteed to fail if it doesn't pass. No two registering experiences will likely be the same when registering such a rarely seen vehicle. If you must register the vehicle for street use for you to purchase it, then you need to weigh the possibility that you won't get it registered. If you buy it and don't get it registered, then what are your available options? That question is rhetorical and will vary based on the buyer.

With most situations, where there is a will there is a way.
    Were/Are Atom 2 and 3's issued a 17 digit VIN? For the ones that pass VIN lookup is it registered as a kit car or a normal production vehicle?
    E90 M3 DCT
    997.1 GT3

www.essesmotorcars.com

Neutrino
    Country
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by CosmosMpower View Post
    Were/Are Atom 2 and 3's issued a 17 digit VIN? For the ones that pass VIN lookup is it registered as a kit car or a normal production vehicle?
    atom 2 have 17 digit PIN's, not VIN's they *mine* did not work on the texas DMV (that didn't even exist when I registered mine so what I'm saying is even after they had my car in their system it's not connected to the sales tax estimator thing that Jlester is referring to.

atom3 do not have 17 digit anythings, they have a much shorter serial number only

Country
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by silver View Post
    atom 2 have 17 digit PIN's, not VIN's they *mine* did not work on the texas DMV ...
    Neither the AA05... UK VINs on the early Brammo cars nor the A2RT... PINs on the later ones have valid checksums. That will cause most automated registration / insurance systems to reject them and require a manual override.

The checksum only applies to "high volume" WMI assignees, not the low-volume manufacturers. The linked Wikipedia article is incomplete - not all low-volume manufacturers use xx9x... in their VINs/PINs.

By the way, CARFAX will return records on Brammo Atoms if they have ever been registered under their VIN/PIN - they don't bother with the checksum and instead just look for matching records. All of the other similar services seem to verify the checksum first and claim the Brammo cars have invalid VINs/PINs. Having a CARFAX report on a used Brammo Atom with you might help during registration, it might not. Since registration usually involves a manual override, it depends on who you get at the DMV.

By the way, in 23 replies nobody has pointed out that FourFather (Eddie Hill) here is an authorized Ariel Atom dealer and is located in Texas. He would be an excellent person to ask about registration.

Electron
    Country
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by CosmosMpower View Post
    I have an AA2 with a 17-digit VIN/chassis # but when it was first registered in Colorado, it was assigned an 11-digit VIN. When the registration was transferred to Texas the first time, the 11-digit VIN followed and now it exists in the Texas system and works for the Texas Title Check system (TxDMV - Title Check) but it will fail on the valuation (errors out on saying it only works on 17-digit VINs). Having it pass the Texas Title Check system was key in my decision to risk being able to register it.

Particle
    Country
    United States
    Just had my Texas registration revoked...car was previously registered in Texas...FML. Back to the drawing board.

Gluon
    Country
    United States
    Sometimes I am so thankful that I live in the "Land of Fruits and Nuts." California may have a bunch of hoops to jump, but at least you can get through them.

Ironically, in the six states that I have lived in California has the fewest "dumb laws." Of course I am not referring to business or taxes....

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123