Thread: U-Haul experience

Particle
    Country
    United States

U-Haul experience

To rent a trailer from U-Haul, I am told U-Haul has to verify the car being towed in their computer. Not surprisingly, I don't think their computer lists an Atom. Has anyone had issues with this trying to rent a trailer from U-Haul to tow your Atom?

Country
    United States
    I'm sure it's so you don't put an overweight vehicle on their trailer..just say it's a Honda Civic.
    The power of an Atom is a terrible thing to waste! Atom owner/operator since 2007. The more you chase perfection,the faster it becomes. John Force for President! (I asked him once in person...he laughed)

Lepton
    Country
    United States
    I have used a U-Haul trailer, and it worked fine. Just be careful about the raised rails in the center scraping the tub. The included ramps are short and steep. You can use plastic oil change ramps to extend them.

1997-ford-f-150-rear-view-with-trailer.jpg

Neutrino
    Country
    United States
    I gave them the vehicle that was used to haul the atom versus the atom....they don't check or anything

Blog Entries
    Country
    United States
    Their a big pain in the ASS, I had to lie to them and tell em I was pulling something totally different. If it's not on their computer, forget it. It's for insurance reasons or at least thats what they said. When we were loading it up on the trailer I backed the F150 up onto 2 short 4x4 and added some longer wood planks, maybe 6 or 8 footers. That gave me about 2" of clearance from the center rails. Nice trailer for towing the Atom though.

Country
    United States
    I told them I was towing a Lotus Elise (closest to the size that is on their drop down menu). To load it, we backed it on the ramps, then jacked up each ramp. Thanks to whomever posted that trick elsewhere on the forum.

To get it off, we had the tow vehicle and trailer on the street, and the ramps on my driveway. We also used two boards per side under the ramps to reduce the angle.

Particle
    Country
    United States
    Related question. Is it okay to load it front first in terms of getting the right tongue weight (10-15% of total load)? Or do I have to back the atom on to the trailer given it's rear weight bias?

Country
    United States
    ^Seeing as the trailer weighs more than the car,I don't think it really matters..
    The power of an Atom is a terrible thing to waste! Atom owner/operator since 2007. The more you chase perfection,the faster it becomes. John Force for President! (I asked him once in person...he laughed)

Country
    United States
    On my flat bed if I back the Atom all the way to the front I get too much tongue weight. The truck's headlights point in oncoming drivers' eyes and they flash me like I've got the brights on.

Back it on and straddle the trailer's tires with the Atom's. That should load the tongue well enough with the Atom's rear weight bias.

Electron
    Country
    United States
    I modified my motorcycle trailer by making it 24" longer and about 4 " wider at the rear and I moved the axle to the rear but still don't have quite enough tongue weight because it still has a little sway. I bought some used barbell weights 2x50lbs and will mount them way up front and I suspect that should do it, if not I have another 35 pounder that I can lay on the front. I haven't driven it this way yet so I'm hoping that will do it.