Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Windshield pros and cons on the track from performance perspective

Particle
    Country
    United States

Windshield pros and cons on the track from performance perspective

Looking at whether to get the windshield option given the cost. Plan on using the Atom 100% on the track so not concerned with benefits away from the track. Obviously a windshield will help with helmet buffeting, but wondering whether anyone has observed impact on the car's performance on the track. For example, does anyone have experience running on a track both with and without a windshield and can speak to whether there are any performance benefits/cons in terms of aero? Also, any concern that airflow to the air scoop may be disrupted/blocked?

Country
    United States
    I have extensive miles with and without a windshield on track at speed with an Atom2.Without the windshield,I had numerous tire snakes,June bugs,grasshoppers etc whack me in the neck/face shield and constantly found myself dodging the flying bits off other peoples cars (wrenches,bolts,bungies,mirrors etc) to make me nervous coming up behind the "veteran" track cars (aka shitboxes) After Massa had a coil spring almost kill him, I added a full Ariel windshield to my Atom2. It has eliminated ALL debris impacts to the head/neck and even helped with downforce! (measurable!) I liked the addition of the windshield so much,I added one to my other Atom2. It is well worth the money,and if you decide to sell,definitely helps with resale.Airflow disruption to the snorkel is insignificant. Win win win..!
    The power of an Atom is a terrible thing to waste! Atom owner/operator since 2007. The more you chase perfection,the faster it becomes. John Force for President! (I asked him once in person...he laughed)

Electron
    Country
    United States
    Interesting comment Max. I met Mark at the One Lap and he suggested taking my windshield off for track events to prevent a rock hitting it and having a $2,800. repair bill so I bought a used dash or whatever you call it and I trade back and forth. I have only done 3 track days so far and have not found the lack of a windshield to be a problem so far.

Neutrino
    Country
    United States
    +1 for windshield on track....there are some tracks that do not challenge you physically but when you visit the one that does, having a windshield will allow you to enjoy all the sessions you pay for b/c your neck won't get tired.......I've had instances where I forgot to do my chinstrap and instances where even with the chinstrap done right, the helmet comes dangerously far off my head to the point I have to break concentration and hold it down with one hand.....all that is removed with the windshield.

I guess the chances of you breaking your windshield are as remote as your helmet coming so far off that it causes you to crash due to lack of concentration but I'd rather pay for new glass than a new car.

Country
    United States
    $2800 repair bill? That sounds very high..the replacement glass from TMI (when I asked Mark Swain a couple of years ago) was $650ish,and probably $100-150 shipping. They are a snap to remove/install..so not a big deal. My windshield has been pelted with rocks more than once (really) and not even so much as a stone chip/bruise. The design has a pretty radical convex curve to it and is quite strong.
    The power of an Atom is a terrible thing to waste! Atom owner/operator since 2007. The more you chase perfection,the faster it becomes. John Force for President! (I asked him once in person...he laughed)

Fermion
    Country
    United States
    The windshield is a wonderful option, however it can block the intake of air. We will probably run without the windshield on track.

Neutrino
    Country
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by DBeach View Post
    The windshield is a wonderful option, however it can block the intake of air. We will probably run without the windshield on track.
    I forgot to respond to that aspect, My air intake went out the side, the factory air intake is too restrictive for the harrop supercharger so I had a new intake made that's simply a short aluminum pipe out the side of the supercharger with a maf bung welded on and a conical filter....another benefit of that is the air intake is no longer sitting on top of the oven (engine) getting hot

Country
    United States
    "it can block the intake of air" Maybe if the air intake/scoop were located on the dash,it might block a tiny bit of cooler air from entering,just maybe,but I still doubt it as the factory scoop is more form than function.(Cowl induction designs have been found to be better for air induction than scoops) There is no way the windshield is impairing the engines ability to get air,and if you think you are getting some "ram" effect from the scoop,you are mistaken. The benefits of the windshield,especially the added downforce on the center mass of the Atom, and reducing drag over the cockpit easily add seconds to lap times. I have done back to back testing with and without the windshield and am thoroughly convinced of its aero (and safety) benefits.My top speeds were higher and lap times lower with the windshield in place.(I data logged all of it) I did this at Watkins Glen two years ago. The difference was easily measurable and substantial. Want more proof? Take the windshield off of ANY car and see what happens to its performance. It will drop.
    Last edited by MadMaxAtom; June 18, 2014 at 06:12 AM.

Country
    United States
    Max, that is a very interesting post, and thank you for it. I am deciding on the options to order for a new 2015 Ariel Atom 3 demonstrator/company car, and will order a windshield for this one. My current 2012 Atom does not have the windshield, and I have been very happy with it (almost all the time on it has been track time), but if track times are better with it, then of course I must have it. Would you be willing to divulge some of your data with and without? Lap times and/or top speed on the straights?

Again, thanks for a very informative and helpful post.

Eddie
    Eddie FourFather Hill
    Top Fuel Champion on land and water
    www.eddiehillsfuncycles.com since 1966
    Honda, Kawasaki, Polaris, Yamaha

Country
    United States
    Sure Eddie. Same day,same car, same driver(me) same tires. With the windshield, my top sped down the back straight at Watkins Glen was 134mph.Without windshield (with double bubble dash installed) 129mph. This happened lap after lap and was not a fluke.Lap times were lower by 2 seconds with the windshield installed on average.(a couple of laps were almost 3 seconds faster) I had installed a height measuring device on the control arm/frame rail and at the top speed with the windshield installed, the difference in the suspension load was 3/8" lower in the rear, and that is with 550lb springs,so substantial. The measuring device was active so it was easy to eliminate "bumps" from the data.
    No other changes were made to the car other than with or without the windshield. In all honesty,I was somewhat surprised, as with the windshield installed, it doesn't "feel" faster,but the numbers don't lie. I think with some more aero work the car could even be faster, as in stock form,it is a cheese grater with wheels to the wind. The faster you go,the more important aero becomes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast