Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Windshield pros and cons on the track from performance perspective

Fermion
    Country
    United States
    Max, thank you for that post. You have saved us from doing this comparison ourselves. Very helpful.

Country
    United States
    Wow! That is huge!

Thank you so much for that info, Max!

Eddie
    Eddie FourFather Hill
    Top Fuel Champion on land and water
    www.eddiehillsfuncycles.com since 1966
    Honda, Kawasaki, Polaris, Yamaha

Country
    United States
    No problem. Visualize the high speed air (120+mph) spilling across the dash area which then slams into the seats/passengers/firewall/rollbar area.
    With the windshield installed,the air is directed around these obstructions, gracefully. Less turbulence, less drag,and added downforce. IMG_6584.jpg It's really is just a big added wing you can look through...
    Last edited by MadMaxAtom; June 18, 2014 at 10:15 AM.
    The power of an Atom is a terrible thing to waste! Atom owner/operator since 2007. The more you chase perfection,the faster it becomes. John Force for President! (I asked him once in person...he laughed)

Particle
    Country
    United States
    Real good info Max. I am sold. Curious, did you have the side panels on during these runs?

Country
    United States
    Yes,side panels on. Same reason: less aero drag,and..yes,I have done on/off runs with the panels. It's not as dramatic as the windshield,but the side panels are good for about 1/2-1mph on the top end. I like the side panels anyway as they keep debris out of the cockpit.(The front tires throw a LOT of stuff at you when using sticky track rubber.)
    The power of an Atom is a terrible thing to waste! Atom owner/operator since 2007. The more you chase perfection,the faster it becomes. John Force for President! (I asked him once in person...he laughed)

Electron
    Country
    United States
    Max, after reading your posts on the subject and seeing the cost is not as high as I was led to believe I will be putting the windshield back on for the next track day. Now I just have to make sure my instructors keep their mitts off the thing when getting into and out of the car because if used as a hand hold as I have heard that they can break if too much force is applied to it unless of course you have experimented with that aspect as well and found that not to be true. LOL

Country
    United States
    I'm sure if someone used the windshield as a handle to get in/out with some force,it may break,but I don't believe they are as delicate as you would think. It's actually not a good support point for entry/exit and most use the roll bar hoop for support or the side rail. When I first installed the glass,I was a little paranoid about it breaking,but after so many years of use and watching stuff bounce off it,I am convinced of its durability. The factory did a good job of designing it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12