Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: national highway traffic safety administration letter of safety for an ariel atom?

Country
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by McFred View Post

I win! I win!

I love that my state is poor. We haven't figured out how to support as many goldbricking, stonewalling, freedom sucking lawyers and politicians as most of the northeastern states. I can nearly do whatever I want as long as I can insure it and pass the one-sided sheet of paper equipment checkilst.
    What, your state requires a checklist? Some states only require a checkbook

I don't think any of the UK folks (including the UK factory) truly understand the "fifty-one kingdoms" maze of rules here in the US. Some states have exemptions for Atom-type vehicles (like Oregon's "Brammo Law", though that one isn't particularly good). Some states have exemptions for low-volume production, some exempt electric vehicles, etc. - there are some states where you can register golf-cart-like things for the road. Some states defer to their inspection departments, so you could probably register a new Atom, but when time comes to get the car inspected (normally 1 to 4 years after the initial registration), they'll pitch a fit and pull the registration.

And in many cases, the interpretation of "register-able or not" can come down either way, depending on who you ask.

I find it baffling and amusing that the social/environmental experiment called California has one of the best-documented procedures for registering Atom-like vehicles.

Country
    United States
    I'm in Hawaii this week. I've seen a road legal Lotus 7 imitator, and an old model T looking thing with no roof. The owners did not have to go through a detailed inspection and the cars did not have tags before their life in Hawaii. If these things are road legal, it makes absolutely no sense that an Atom cannot be. The owners of both of these vehicles that they had to go through and work out multiple problems to make them safe. That's almost never true of an Atom.
    It's a crazy world.

Fermion
    Country
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Gage View Post
    It's a crazy world.

its a shitty world

Country
    United States
    The Atom looks like a race car..that is all most inspectors need to see....guilty by association..
    The power of an Atom is a terrible thing to waste! Atom owner/operator since 2007. The more you chase perfection,the faster it becomes. John Force for President! (I asked him once in person...he laughed)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12