Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help with options please?

Particle
    Country
    United States

Help with options please?

Looking at ordering an Atom, but would like thoughts on what are the "must have" options. Specifically, I am wondering whether any of these higher priced options from the TMI list are "must haves" over standard, and why? Thanks in advance.

Alcon Track Brake Package
    Parking Brake kit (plan on only using the Atom on the track, not the street)
    Aluminum adjustable dampers
    Race Needle Roller Bellcranks
    Chromoly Aerofoil Wishbone
    Race Grade Rod Ends

Neutron
    Country
    United States
    The wilwoods and the Alcons are going to be about the same on the Atom. the pads are going to be easier to find for the wilwoods. stopping power is the same. would say like a nice quality seiko vs the rolex. they are both going to give you the same time

I use a plastic tire chock as my "parking brake" works great and no added unsprung weight.

the adjustable dampers really depend on how many milliseconds you want to manage on the track. If you are the kind of person who records tire temps and lap times and corner weight's your car for every track, then get the adjustable dampers.

I dont have an opinion on the bellcranks. I think the UK guys recommend them.

The chromoly wishbones are pure bling factor. Any aerodynamic advantage they give is lost by the fact that you are driving rolling scaffolding. You might see 1 mph top speed improvement. But they look really good.

the rod ends really depend on the brand and type they are using. Im using midrange aurora rod ends and they should last several car lifetimes. I didnt see the need for the race grade ones (though I did upgrade from the lawn mower grade ones that came with the car (brammo made atom 2).
    the high profile toy thrower

Country
    United States
    Be truthful Bolus, you take your wheel chock with you, so, it is not really unsprung weight is it?

Neutrino
    Country
    United States
    The windshield was the biggest improvement in enjoyment of the atom I added.....without the windshield, the buffeting / helmet lift are really bad, not to mention wind noise, with the windshield it's massively improved...downsides: you're adding 20 lbs to the weight of the car, and you won't feel the wind, which is part of the charm of the atom, I just found after several years, I would prefer not to strain my neck holding my head on straight.

Neutron
    Country
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Norm View Post
    Be truthful Bolus, you take your wheel chock with you, so, it is not really unsprung weight is it?

Its sprung weight since I keep it behind the seat, not attached to the upright Plus the parking brake caliper is like 8 lbs.
    the high profile toy thrower

Country
    United States
    Get the adjustable dampers. Depending on track conditions,they are worth a LOT more than a few milliseconds,especially if you intend to run race rubber and heavier spring rates.Besides,it gives you something to fiddle with and talk about on rainy days..
    I prefer the Alcons, and pad availability through Carbotech is next day, Only set of Wilwoods I ever had were on my Miata and I hated them..
    Windshield is a must for me,as track debris can be scary; I really don't care for a set of errant Vise grips to the noggin. Not to mention those June bugs..
    Parking brake is for the street.
    Better bellcranks IF you run heavier springs and race rubber,or like to climb on curbing.
    Aero wishbones...they are cool to look at and don't hurt anything,but spend the money saved on tires and track time.
    Better rod ends..eventually they all wear,so whatever floats your boat. You may pay twice as much,but you probably won't get twice the life..at least I haven't.. but I do use the better ones. My guardian angel insists..
    The power of an Atom is a terrible thing to waste! Atom owner/operator since 2007. The more you chase perfection,the faster it becomes. John Force for President! (I asked him once in person...he laughed)

Country
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MadMaxAtom View Post
    Better bellcranks IF you run heavier springs and race rubber,or like to climb on curbing.
    As I understand it, the difference in the UK (and thus, presumably, TMI) bellcranks is in how easily they rotate, not strength. In fact, TMI specifically recommends against Brammo-type billet bellcranks.

As far as options go, remember that the options that are upgrades to an existing item will cost you more to switch to them later on - for example, if you buy a car with Wilwoods and decide you want Alcons later on, you pay full price for the Alcons and end up with Wilwoods you have no use for. Ordering Alcons at the time you order the car, you're only paying for the difference between the cost of the Wilwoods and the Alcons.

At least "back in the day", if you wanted to add wings, you needed to have a car built with the towing hook options or you were out of luck.

TMI can advise you on what things need to be on the car as delivered in order to handle future add-ons you might want. They can also advise you as to what option level most cars are ordered with, and so on.

Country
    United States
    "As I understand it, the difference in the UK (and thus, presumably, TMI) bellcranks is in how easily they rotate, not strength. In fact, TMI specifically recommends against Brammo-type billet bell cranks."

I disagree. The stamped steel needle bearing stock bell cranks are known to bend when overloaded. (I have personally bent a few) The factory billet aluminum race units are substantially stronger. I use the palatov custom bell cranks as their motion ratio is better suited for the Atom,in my experience. I also use their stronger pushrods for the same reason: insurance. A collapsed suspension at high speed is something to be avoided.
    The power of an Atom is a terrible thing to waste! Atom owner/operator since 2007. The more you chase perfection,the faster it becomes. John Force for President! (I asked him once in person...he laughed)

Country
    United States
    Hi, Chris, and welcome to the forum.

The only item in your list that I order for my own cars, is the adjustable dampers, and as you may be able to tell from this video taken a couple of events ago at Hallett, it gets around the track pretty well, 1:19's at Hallett, and 1:55's at Eagles Canyon.

Eddie FourFather Hill and his Ariel Atom 3 passing racecars at Hallett in 2013 - YouTube

If you get one of these, you can relax and enjoy the driving experience, without excessive worry about mechanical failures or upkeep , or damaging the mechanicals or bodywork on an expensive street car.

Eddie

Quote Originally Posted by RollingThunder View Post
    Looking at ordering an Atom, but would like thoughts on what are the "must have" options. Specifically, I am wondering whether any of these higher priced options from the TMI list are "must haves" over standard, and why? Thanks in advance.

Alcon Track Brake Package
    Parking Brake kit (plan on only using the Atom on the track, not the street)
    Aluminum adjustable dampers
    Race Needle Roller Bellcranks
    Chromoly Aerofoil Wishbone
    Race Grade Rod Ends
    Eddie FourFather Hill
    Top Fuel Champion on land and water
    www.eddiehillsfuncycles.com since 1966
    Honda, Kawasaki, Polaris, Yamaha

Country
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MadMaxAtom View Post
    I disagree. The stamped steel needle bearing stock bell cranks are known to bend when overloaded. (I have personally bent a few) The factory billet aluminum race units are substantially stronger. I use the palatov custom bell cranks as their motion ratio is better suited for the Atom,in my experience. I also use their stronger pushrods for the same reason: insurance. A collapsed suspension at high speed is something to be avoided.
    I'm just passing along what Mark at TMI has told me repeatedly. He feels that folding the bellcrank is preferable to bending the frame or A-arms.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast