Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Help with options please?

Country
    United States
    "He feels that folding the bellcrank is preferable to bending the frame or A-arms."
    Poppycock! I've used the stronger bell cranks,pushrods heavier springs and BIG sticky tires on track at high G forces for many miles and NEVER bent or worn out a control arm,and to bend an Atom frame takes some serious impact.
    I prefer the only weak link on my Atoms to be behind the wheel...
    The power of an Atom is a terrible thing to waste! Atom owner/operator since 2007. The more you chase perfection,the faster it becomes. John Force for President! (I asked him once in person...he laughed)

Neutron
    Country
    United States
    pothole. If it was solid, it sure looked like it would have been enough force to damage the mount for the damper

the high profile toy thrower

Country
    United States
    "If it was solid, it sure looked like it would have been enough force to damage the mount for the damper" I Disagree. It's just a weak link in an otherwise sound suspension setup.

In my opinion,nothing on any suspension setup should ever fail due to a street road imperfection. Maybe the rim..but even then,I prefer the tire to rupture before anything else breaks.

Last week,I had a customers 2010 Rav4 towed in with right front suspension damage. He had traded his 2001 Tacoma in for the Rav4 this spring,and I strongly urged him NOT to buy a Rav4 as I know his driving habits.The Rav4 is a very good sound street vehicle,but NOT designed for any serious off road use/abuse.It may have 4 wheel drive,but it is not built strong enough for serious impacts. He likes to drive off road on weekends and the most damage he has ever done to his Tacoma was a broken/bent wheel or a cut tire. The repair on his Rav4 was over $1700 as it destroyed the wheel/tire/carrier/strut/ABS sensor/hub/axle/caliper/rotor/brake hose. Not to mention a $300 tow bill.

"I've gone through that gully a hundred times with my Tacoma and never had a problem.How can we make the Rav4 stronger?" I told him to trade in his Rav4 on a Tacoma..
    Last edited by MadMaxAtom; June 4, 2014 at 04:35 AM.
    The power of an Atom is a terrible thing to waste! Atom owner/operator since 2007. The more you chase perfection,the faster it becomes. John Force for President! (I asked him once in person...he laughed)

Particle
    Country
    United States
    Thanks for all the helpful info. So one follow up question just for clarification. Are any of the suspension options something that would extend the useful life of the component on the track? In other words, which of the suspension components are about lowering track times vs. not having to replace the part (at all or at least further down the road)? I am not so concerned with getting every second out of a lap time (at least not yet), but more concerned about having to replace something too often. Thanks again.

Country
    United States
    All parts wear. If you abuse them they wear faster or may break. None of the stronger components will extend the in service life if used in a normal manner. All strong parts do is help eliminate a failure when exceeding "normal" conditions. You don't "need" forged pistons in a daily driver..as they will wear just as fast as a cast piston. However, if you add more boost to that stock engine,you need forged pistons or risk a failure.

If you don't plan on tracking your car aggressively, the stock basic stuff works fine. (but I would still get the adjustable dampers...)

Particle
    Country
    United States
    Thanks MadMax. So are the optional bellcrank and rod ends "stronger" than the standard versions?

Neutron
    Country
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MadMaxAtom View Post
    In my opinion,nothing on any suspension setup should ever fail due to a street road imperfection. .
    I dont trust the frame mounts. sure, nothing should fail on a pothole, but they dont look like they can take a pothole. so I'd rather the bellcrank be the weak point. Thats also why I upgraded the pushrods and their rod ends. If one of those breaks you're dragging the frame on the ground.

Country
    United States
    "are the optional bellcrank and rod ends "stronger" than the standard versions?" Yes.

Bolus,I understand the importance to protect the frame,but I honestly believe the LAST component to receive damage from an over stressed (and properly set up suspension) will be the frame. Matter of fact,I would consider an Atom set up with a very low suspension ride height to be more capable of damaging the frame than using stronger support components on a normal ride height car. Some of the ride heights I have seen,in an effort to "improve" handling, reduce the suspension movement to basically nothing.The force bottoms out the suspension and damage is done. If you want better handling,do it with heavier springs/dampers/bell cranks/pushrods with proper travel. At least there will be some "give" when something severe impacts the wheel.

Neutron
    Country
    United States
    sounds like we need to buy 20 Atoms, half with regular bellcranks and half with stronger ones, have Terry drive them around new Jersey and hit some big ass potholes and see what happens. Anyone with $1.4 million to spare?

Country
    United States
    Why not avoid the potholes..? That's what I do…

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast