Thread: Ripping the Atom apart!

Country
    United States

Ripping the Atom apart!

Didnt like the gold, so its getting powdercoated white. Also, adding the DDMworks Supercharger upgrade (290 whp) and the 6 speed gear kit! Very excited/sore...!

Attachment 1735photo 19.jpgphoto 12.jpgphoto 11.jpgphoto 4.jpgAttachment 1734
    Attached Images Attached Images

Country
    United States

Country
    United States
    If you are going to add the Quaife kit, do reinforce the case. I have the six speed and did not bother to do so and wish that I had. The pot metal case is the reason that the Cobalt crowd blows up their gear boxes as it flexes.

Country
    United States
    Do you have suggestions on the reinforcement? I own a machine shop so making something is the easy part. Any links/prints/pics would be very helpful. I only wanna do this once! Thanks, Mike

Country
    United States

Neutron
    Country
    United States
    on seeing goldfinger no longer gold

If you want a transmission 'challenge' the GM F40 transmission from a Pontiac G6 (which is a beefier 6 speed transmission for the Pontiac's V6) will bolt up to the ecotec using a Saab 9-3 bell housing (European Saabs with the ecotec engine had a model with the GM F40 transmission).

Here it is bolted up on my engine with that setup. I did not end up using it because it would need 2 new engine mounts fabricated (beyond my ability), a longer passenger side axle and a new clutch.

the high profile toy thrower

Country
    United States
    That would be a cheaper and stronger way to go ...

Country
    United States
    Lol Bolus! Don't be sad, it will be much faster with the upgrades, and now its a color match to my new Aventador!

Not sure it was worth all the work yet, but I will post pics as soon as its off the lift.

On the gear kit issue: I already bought the gear kit, so I am locked in there. Any recommendations on bracing? Norm, what do you feel that you don't like? I want to make a brace, and I could knock out an extra one for you for the advice!

I was VERY tempted to make the car RHD before it was recoated. 2 steering and 2 brake brackets, and that would have been all she wrote. I have a RHD 1970 Mini with a Hayabusa motor in it. Cool toy. Not done....