Thread: wheel bearing question

Gluon
    Country
    United States

wheel bearing question

Hello all, I had a mechanic do a pre-track inspection today, and he found that my left rear wheel bearings are all but gone. The wheel can actually be visibly shaken back and forth by hand on the axle - quite disturbing that I've driven it at all in this condition actually. This may explain the straight line 'wandering' I described in a previous post. Does anyone know if the rear wheel bearings are a 'generic' part, e.g., lifted off a Saturn or something, or are they unique to the Atom?

Thanks, Jim

Country
    United States
    Gotta be more specific Jim. Atom 2 (UK or USA?), or Atom 3? OEM rear uprights or aftermarket (Unique Fabrication or Palatov)?
    Ariel Atom 2, Ecotec 300, owner since 2007. Drive, Detail, Improve, Repeat. Visit my website.

Gluon
    Country
    United States
    Sorry, it's a Brammo US 2007 atom 2, I believe oem suspension. Chassis #50

Country
    United States
    See this thread. Make sure you read the details on the axle spacers and how a number of people have replaced theirs with hardened units (suspecting that the stock units were the cause of premature bearing failures).

Also, see this thread on the other forum. This one has some interesting info on bearing failure as well.

I found these quickly with the forum search feature. I've come across forums where it just doesn't work worth a crap, but it does well here.
    Ariel Atom 2, Ecotec 300, owner since 2007. Drive, Detail, Improve, Repeat. Visit my website.

Country
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by AdmiralMubutu View Post
    Hello all, I had a mechanic do a pre-track inspection today, and he found that my left rear wheel bearings are all but gone. The wheel can actually be visibly shaken back and forth by hand on the axle - quite disturbing that I've driven it at all in this condition actually. This may explain the straight line 'wandering' I described in a previous post. Does anyone know if the rear wheel bearings are a 'generic' part, e.g., lifted off a Saturn or something, or are they unique to the Atom?
    They're stock. Watch out for the NAPA ones - I ordered 4 at once and got 3 different brands.

You should talk to James - he has my spare bearings, seals, and the "raspberry jelly" grease, and he doesn't need any of them as he has Unique Fabricating uprights on the back. He also has a pair of the TMI retrofit bearing spacers new-in-box (I had TMI replace the fronts at AtomFest 2009, but since they only sold them in sets, I put the rears into spares inventory since I had the Unique uprights).

If you two need me to point out what's what in the spares, just give me some advance warning and I'll drive down and sort it out.

Gluon
    Country
    United States
    Thank you Terry, lane, and sorry about my failure to do a proper forum search before asking a question that's been covered already. You are quite right, it works quite well here (but I never have any luck with the GT-R forums).

Gluon
    Country
    United States
    Indeed, it appears that spacer failure was the problem. The wheel became so loose and cockeyed that the rotor actually started wearing into the caliper housing. I now understand my 'wandering' problem. I'm glad I'm still here to write about it after driving it in that condition on I-78. I've reached out to James to see if he'll part with the bearings, seals and spacers. Thank you all again.