Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 18 of 18

Thread: First track day

  1. #11
    Gluon
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    48
    Country
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MadMaxAtom View Post
    I like rear brake bias…but that's me. I'm surprised your Atom doesn't have a remote brake bias adjuster,although it was an option. You can easily add one by buying this unit from Summit..http://www.summitracing.com/parts/wi...4990/overview/
    It is simple to install and a LOT easier to adjust the brake bias with the simple twist of the knob, than getting under that dash with tools to fiddle about...
    It may have one, I'm not even sure where this is.

  2. #12
    Gluon
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    48
    Country
    United States
    Thank you all, this is great advice. I think the common denominator is to take it easy and get the feel of it before trying to be a hero. I may even go out with the beginner run group, at least in the morning. I've run in advanced a couple of times with 12C and GT-R, thinking my horsepower and technological advantages would make me fast. Then I got schooled by a spec Miata and realized there's a lot more to this whole track driving thing. I'm looking forward to learning the right way in a very 'analog' car like the Atom. Eddie, I watched your video - you made that look so effortless and smooth. Something to strive for - I'm very psyched to get out there.

  3. #13
    Particle
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    32
    Country
    United States
    Just did thunderbolt in my Atom. It was incredible. On the "dont-lift" thing, 100% spot on. I lifted twice came in too hot and street driving brain kicked in and lifted, ass end came around in a heartbeat. I am clearly a beginner and running with an incredible coach in the "A" group but in my opinion (have done 3 other track days in a 850rwhp C5) the Atom experience is like none other. Driven correctly its a scalpel in the corners and enough power (stock) to hang with anything in the straights. I think I spent my entire day in fourth gear.

    My oil did get a little hot 244*, but I've been told that isnt the end of the world. Coolant was perfectly fine. Might try an additional oil cooler but for now I cant wipe this stupid grin off my face.
    Last edited by maniac719; March 28, 2014 at 05:35 PM.

  4. #14
    Proton Terry Kennedy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    793
    Country
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Lane View Post
    You may want to have the alignment verified prior to that track day. Mine came from the factory with settings that needed to be tamed a little bit. Or maybe I just didn't think toe out front and rear was as fun as most people do.
    The Brammo stock alignment was "interesting". There's a YouTube video of an Atom spinning out on the front straight at AtomFest, but I can't find it offhand.

  5. #15
    Gluon
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    48
    Country
    United States
    Finally got to the track on Friday. What a blast! Driving the Atom is by far the most fun I have had on a circuit. We had great weather, although a bit cool in the morning (Pocono South-East). The Atom's ability to corner is astounding. In the past I have tracked a GT-R, McLaren 12C and Lotus Elise SC and none of those cars can touch the Atom's track prowess. I kept that "don't lift" advice in my brain and had no issues with the back end coming out. Even when it did start to slide, it's so easy to correct. Maniac719 had Terry's Atom out there too and we were in the same run group. Great fun taking turns at the front of the pack (until we lapped the field and had to slow up!) Also the Skunkworx steering wheel felt great, nice and solid and no clearance issues whatsoever, even with the slightly larger diameter. Anyway, now I'm hooked - I can't wait to get it back on a circuit again - and the more technical the layout, the better.

  6. #16
    Particle
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    32
    Country
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by AdmiralMubutu View Post
    Finally got to the track on Friday. What a blast! Driving the Atom is by far the most fun I have had on a circuit. We had great weather, although a bit cool in the morning (Pocono South-East). The Atom's ability to corner is astounding. In the past I have tracked a GT-R, McLaren 12C and Lotus Elise SC and none of those cars can touch the Atom's track prowess. I kept that "don't lift" advice in my brain and had no issues with the back end coming out. Even when it did start to slide, it's so easy to correct. Maniac719 had Terry's Atom out there too and we were in the same run group. Great fun taking turns at the front of the pack (until we lapped the field and had to slow up!) Also the Skunkworx steering wheel felt great, nice and solid and no clearance issues whatsoever, even with the slightly larger diameter. Anyway, now I'm hooked - I can't wait to get it back on a circuit again - and the more technical the layout, the better.
    Yep, it was just about a perfect day out there! It was a lot of fun running around the track with another Atom. I had a passenger most of the day since the group we were running with allowed solo drivers to take a passenger around, and I think I hooked about 4 different youngsters on the Atom for life. Hilarious how different the car felt with another 180-200lbs person in it verses driving alone. I'm in love with this thing more than ever. Video of the two of us running around the track coming up soon!

    James

  7. #17
    Lepton McFred's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    SW, USA
    Posts
    364
    Country
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by maniac719 View Post
    Hilarious how different the car felt with another 180-200lbs person in it verses driving alone.
    Yes, I forgot about that: this is good info to mention in this thread. If you get used to shift and brake points, there will be a difference with a passenger so keep that in mind (particularly with brake points ).

    Thanks for the track report guys, it sounds like you had a nice day!

  8. #18
    Particle
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    32
    Country
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by McFred View Post
    Yes, I forgot about that: this is good info to mention in this thread. If you get used to shift and brake points, there will be a difference with a passenger so keep that in mind (particularly with brake points ).

    Thanks for the track report guys, it sounds like you had a nice day!
    funny how it never mattered with my 800rwhp c5. . But then again I was already carrying around 3300 lbs of car and not 1300.

    http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0MyI03GVvrM

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •