Thread: Replacing the brake light switch cheap and easy.

Country
    United States

Replacing the brake light switch cheap and easy.

The brake fluid pressure activated Atom2 brake light switch has been well known to either leak,or not work at all. Here is an easy (less than 1/2 hr.) and inexpensive ($8) way to replace it for good. I have my dash off, as I will be installing a windshield in the near future,so now is the ideal time to replace that pesky brake light switch without having to dive under the dash…which really sucks.

Dash off…switch exposed..CIMG4306.jpg

First,buy this motorcycle stop light switch off Ebay…Emgo #46-50700. They cost $8 bucks,with free shipping...CIMG4310.jpg

Link to Ebay switch auction..http://www.ebay.com/itm/YAMAHA-RD250...dabb4d&vxp=mtr

Next,we build a very simple attachment bracket. I used a piece of 1/8" thick by 1" wide aluminum flat stock,but you can use most anything as long as it is at least 3/4" wide. You will be drilling two holes: one will be 1/2" in diameter for the stop light switch and the other will be 5/16" for the mounting hole. The hole centers should be about 1" apart..more or less as it is NOT that critical.CIMG4315.jpg

Replace the bullet style connectors that come with the switch..or you can buy matching bullet fasteners to attach to the car harness…wiring layout is NOT important..CIMG4324.jpg

Next,we drill a 1/8" hole in the brake pedal lever,right at the cleavage of the "W" in Wilwood..again,not critical about placement,but just be in far enough from the side so you make a hole,and not a slot..CIMG4319.jpg
    Last edited by MadMaxAtom; February 23, 2014 at 10:20 AM.
    The power of an Atom is a terrible thing to waste! Atom owner/operator since 2007. The more you chase perfection,the faster it becomes. John Force for President! (I asked him once in person...he laughed)

Country
    United States
    Next is attach switch wiring to car harness..there is plenty of slack and you won't have to scab any wire on…the new switch attaches with plenty of room...CIMG4326.jpg

Now,hook the supplied spring to the brake pedal and lift the switch and bracket onto the mounting stud. I have found the switch needs to be fully bottomed out on the first jam nut for the switch to operate properly,but it is VERY easy to adjust the height of the switch by moving the jam nuts. If you run out of length,you can stretch the spring out a little..it won't hurt it.CIMG4323.jpg

The switch should be set up to activate with pedal movement and shut off when released…it really is quite easy to do..CIMG4327.jpg

All done…vacuum up the drill cutting debris, and time to watch the Daytona 500…. (I'm hoping Austin puts the 3 in victory lane for it's first time back to the speedway since 2001..RIP Dale Sr!)
    The power of an Atom is a terrible thing to waste! Atom owner/operator since 2007. The more you chase perfection,the faster it becomes. John Force for President! (I asked him once in person...he laughed)

Electron
    Country
    United States
    Nice write up Max.