Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Finally Got an Atom!

Neutrino
    Country
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MadMaxAtom View Post
    "the 300 models have 3 dots on the pulley, the 245 has 2 dots, the 230 has 1 dot and the 205 has no dots"

Only if the Atom came from brammo in that tune,as GM doesn't mark their pulleys,so if the car were upgraded with a GM kit,it won't have any marks. The 300hp pulley is just under 3" in diameter in the GM kit.

Stock Pulley is 85.09mm (3.35 inches)

Stage 2 Pulley is 77.9mm (3.0669 inches)

Stage 3 Pulley is 76mm (2.9921 inches)
    this car is a tmi ariel atom experience car it's pretty well documented......I don't recall what HP version they were but I'm sure if someone went to the other forum and looked at 7 year old threads they would find it, BUT the B in the VIN number means 205hp

A: non-supercharged
    B 205
    C 230
    D 245
    E 300

That's how the VIN number's were set up from Brammo

A2RTB is the letter I'm talking about, so really if you want to know how yours was built from the factory that's the easiest place to look.....BUT they made a few mistakes along the way, Mine almost came with the wrong VIN and I caught it and had them fix it before it was too late.

Neutrino
    Country
    United States
    it's also listed as a 6 speed, it's not it's a 5 speed.....just for any lurkers reading

Country
    United States
    "BUT they made a few mistakes along the way"

They must have made a LOT of mistakes,because all three of the brammo Atoms I have owned do not follow that 5th digit VIN brammo HP index:

Max (chassis 39)was built as a 300hp Atom2 and the brammo paperwork shows the additional premium was paid for the 300hp option,however the VIN reads: A2RTC which would indicate a 230hp option, so strike one. (it did come with the stage 3 pulley installed,three dots)

Doc (chassis 103)was built as a stage 2 and the ECM is clearly marked "GM,stage 2", however the VIN reads:A2RTE which would indicate 300hp,strike two. (it did come with the stage 2 pulley installed,two dots)

Goldfinger (chassis 121)was built as a 245HP Atom2 as per the option sheet (no 300hp option was available this late in the building due to cars not being able to make that claimed HP,so it was dropped) and it's vin is A2RTE which would indicate 300HP, so strike three.(stage 2 pulley installed,two dots)

Based on this,I don't see how anyone can use that brammo HP VIN table with any expectation of accuracy.
    Last edited by MadMaxAtom; January 22, 2014 at 10:30 AM.
    The power of an Atom is a terrible thing to waste! Atom owner/operator since 2007. The more you chase perfection,the faster it becomes. John Force for President! (I asked him once in person...he laughed)

Neutrino
    Country
    United States
    "BUT they made a few mistakes along the way"

They must have made a LOT of mistakes,because all three of the brammo Atoms I have owned do not follow that 5th digit VIN brammo HP index:

Max (chassis 39)was built as a 300hp Atom2 and the brammo paperwork shows the additional premium was paid for the option,however the VIN reads: A2RTC which would indicate a 230hp option, so strike one.

Doc (chassis 103)was built as a stage 2 and the ECM is clearly marked "GM,stage 2", however the VIN reads:A2RTE which would indicate 300hp,strike two.

Goldfinger (chassis 121)was built as a 245HP Atom2 as per the option sheet (no 300hp option was available this late in the building due to cars not being able to make that claimed HP,so it was dropped) and it's vin is A2RTE which would indicate 300HP, so strike three.

Based on this,I don't see how anyone can use that brammo HP VIN table with any accuracy.
    or you have crap luck bud

Country
    United States
    ^Yea,that must be it. Bad luck(?) or good luck..it does show that the brammo HP VIN digit isn't always correct. Gee,what a surprise..
    The power of an Atom is a terrible thing to waste! Atom owner/operator since 2007. The more you chase perfection,the faster it becomes. John Force for President! (I asked him once in person...he laughed)

Country
    United States
    ^Yea,that must be it. Bad luck(?) or good luck..it does show that the brammo HP VIN digit isn't always correct. Gee,what a surprise..
    VIN/PIN numbers went on before the chassis went to powdercoat. Any options changed by the purchaser after that are not reflected in the VIN.

Country
    United States
    ^ Good to know,Terry. Considering the length of time it took to construct a car during that era,I am not surprised to see so many errors on the engine HP code. I am surprised they would stamp the frame before powdercoating as the VIN pad area does not have any coating. (at least none of my car are coated)

Country
    United States
    ^ Good to know,Terry. Considering the length of time it took to construct a car during that era,I am not surprised to see so many errors on the engine HP code. I am surprised they would stamp the frame before powdercoating as the VIN pad area does not have any coating. (at least none of my car are coated)
    It is one of the few areas that is masked off. I had extensive conversations with Joe about this, as he was asking for my advice on both equipment to do the stamping and a way to do it after the car was assembled. But Brammo never got out of the "every car is custom and can be modified up to the day of delivery" mindset, so no matter when they stamped the plate, it might still not reflect the car that was actually built. Plus, many customers needed to know the VIN well in advance so they could get their insurance lined up for delivery.

Toward the end, they were trying to move to a more mass-production-oriented approach - for example, the RHD / ambidextrous chassis option went away because they wanted to have a stock chassis (and not, as was rumored, because Simon didn't want them making RHD cars). Likewise for the side body panel mounting tabs and the rollbar mounting plates.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12