Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Steering Wheel Height Adjustment

Particle
    Country
    United States

Steering Wheel Height Adjustment

I just received my new (used) Atom 2 today, and the first thing I wanted to do was adjust the steering / dash so I could read the top of the gauges. Right now my steering wheel cuts right through the top 1/3 of the gauges. I have the individual seats option which seems to increase the problem.

There are slots where the steering column mounts to the frame. The steering column mounting screws are currently at the bottom of the slots. I am hoping that raising the steering column improves the gauge visibility angle somewhat. It looks like a pretty simple adjustment to make.

I can't tell, but is the SPA dash connected to the steering column? So it looks as if raising the steering column will actually raise the wheel and the dash. I wish I could just raise the wheel (or lower the dash).

Here are some pictures of the steering column mount on my Atom 2:

Gap above dash.jpgSteering Column Slots.jpg

Neutron
    Country
    United States
    You wont hurt anything by loosening those bolts a little and seeing what moves. I've tried that a long time ago and I got it about a cm lower.
    the high profile toy thrower

Particle
    Country
    United States
    Well I moved them up this morning and it does improve the dash visibility, but not enough. I can see the dummy lights now, but not the turn signals or top 1/5 of the speedometer and tachometer.

Maybe I need to get a wheel with a cut off top.

Neutron
    Country
    United States
    for certain height drivers, this has been a problem since the beginning. Some have bought cut off wheels. I added some LED shift lights and turn signals to the dash so I can see then above the steering wheel

I even tried make a Heads up display but could not get the HUD to work with my OBD port

Particle
    Country
    United States
    Here is my 6.0' tall view of the dash with the individual seat option and the 305mm steering wheel with the SPA shift lights at top center:
    Dash view with SPA Shift Lights.jpg

And here is my 6.0' tall view of the dash with the individual seat option and and the 305mm steering wheel with the SPA shift lights out of the way:
    Dash view without SPA shift lights.jpg

So even without the shift lights, I need a little more visibility.

I am looking online for a flat bottom, cut top steering wheel that is still in the 305mm range, and they are not common. Momo cut wheels are 250mm for the 12C, 270mm for the 27C, and 290mm for the 101.

Many aftermarket wheels have the 70mm 6 bolt pattern, but I did find some milled aluminum adapters from the 6 bolt to the Ariel Atom 3 bolt pattern.

Any suggestions?

Country
    United States
    Bob,
    If you consider selling your shift light wheel as a result of your work, please consider me as a buyer.

Bolus,
    I have a HUD from an kid Grand Prix. It uses an analog speed signal to display the speed. It seemed pretty universal. Tested accurate in a pontiac vibe/Toyota matrix. Does the atom spa dash get an analog speed signal? If so. It might work.

Country
    United States
    So you'd consider using a steering wheel with part of it missing in order to see your turn signal indicators? To me, the wheel would be MUCH more important and valuable. Please consider adding indicators like Bolus did, going with a slightly larger diameter steering wheel to give it more height, or even consider switching to the fiberglass seat (or any other seat) which sits you lower. You can find or order many steering wheels where the hub is not pre-drilled, and drilling the proper pattern would be easy enough to do on our cars and wouldn't limit your selection to those that have the same pre-drilled bolt pattern.

I can't imagine using one of those partial steering wheels. Heaven forbid any of us is in an accident avoidance situation and grabs for that part of the wheel and it's not there. Maybe it's ok on a car with a very fast rack that's track-driven only, and your hands never leave their positions on the wheel... But on anything milder, I'd think it would have the potential to cause an issue at a time when it really mattered.
    Ariel Atom 2, Ecotec 300, owner since 2007. Drive, Detail, Improve, Repeat. Visit my website.

Particle
    Country
    United States
    If it was just the turn signal indicators, I would duplicate them as Bolus did. But I can't see the very top of the RPM or Speedo either, so it is difficult to know the speed. The RPM is not so bad because I can hear the engine, and the shift lights warn me soon enough if I am getting too high in the RPMs. But once I am in the 50+ mph range, I can't tell what speed I am going.

I have ordered an inexpensive 320mm steering wheel to try. I am going to see if the elimination of the built-in shift lights and the slightly bigger wheel diameter balances everything out. If so, then I can focus on getting a 320mm or so wheel I like better and relocating the shift lights onto the top of the dash board.

Has anyone gotten a "cut out" steering wheel and regretted it?

Particle
    Country
    United States
    So I replaced the SPA steering wheel with Shift Lights for one without shift lights, and the view is greatly improved. (See pic)

Dash view without SPA Shift Lights.jpg

I just need another 1/4 inch, and I think I may have found a spot. There is a 1/4 inch gap between the bottom of the SPA dash and the Carbon Fiber surround. (Click on pic below).

Qtr inch gap SPA to Surround.jpg

Can anyone tell me what is attached to what? I am hoping that the CF surround is attached to the steering column, and then the SPA dash is attached to the CF surround. If so, then I should be able to loosen and push the SPA dash down farther and get yet another 1/4 inch. I'd like to know if it is actually possible before I start tearing into it!

Neutron
    Country
    United States
    if you take off the dash cover with the bubbles you can see how it is attached, You wont be able to push it down unfortunately.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast