Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Helmet Recommendations

Particle
    Country
    United States

Helmet Recommendations

What type of helmet is recommended for driving the Ariel Atom?

I am asking because most motorcycle helmets are aerodynamically designed for low lift and low wind noise since they are open air just like the Atom. But the head position for motorcycle racing helmets are designed for the tucked position, not upright like in the Atom.

Kart racing and Formula racing helmets seem to be aerodynamically designed for this type of application. The Carbon Fiber versions are certainly lightweight!
    Last edited by ArielBob; November 20, 2013 at 02:53 PM.

Country
    United States
    I've got an off the shelf Shoei and it's been fine without any windscreen or gunsight in everything except for heavy crosswinds for 10-12 hour stints on the interstates.

Not much lift at speed at the track and you can add velcro and 'trim tabs" if you have a serious issue with everything-but-straight-on wind. I'm sure if you elect to have the full windshield then you won't need a helmet at all; you'll just look sillier than usual and other, more spartan Atom owners will ridicule you. Not that you should care.

It's been my expereince that the nicer helmets are lighter and quieter in open air though.

Neutron
    Country
    United States
    Since you are not required to wear a helmet in the car if you are just driving on the street you dont need to limit yourself to motorcycle or car helmets.

If you are just looking for wind protection you can get one of those save phace masks
    Save Phace | WORLDS Sickest Tactical Mask and ONLY Sports Utility Mask and Extreme Protection Mask

You could get a skydiving helmet

A diving helmet would be quite interesting to see

An aviator helmet would be spiffy as well

Or just go with some aviator goggles like I do
    Davida:Goggles
    the high profile toy thrower

Particle
    Country
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bolus View Post
    Since you are not required to wear a helmet in the car if you are just driving on the street you dont need to limit yourself to motorcycle or car helmets.
    LOL - I guess for the street I could wear anything and everything, but I am thinking of on the track.

The G-Force Pro CFG is pretty inexpensive for CF. I would have to paint over the "flames" though:

GForce CFG.jpg

Neutron
    Country
    United States
    lighter the better for the track. Remember category 3 hurricane winds in your face and 2+ g's in the turns. Your neck gets a workout

Country
    New Zealand

If you are just looking for wind protection you can get one of those save phase masks

You could get a skydiving helmet

A diving helmet would be quite interesting to see

An aviator helmet would be spiffy as well

Or just go with some aviator goggles like I do
    You forgot the NASA option. It might be appropriate for driving something that goes like a rocket ship.

Attached Images Attached Images
    01100001 01110100 01101111 01101101 00110001

Neutron
    Country
    United States
    one of those old NASA helmets would be awesome to drive around in. Probably cost $1.2 billion though

Country
    New Zealand
    I have some Shoei helmets, for road use, that are convenient because the front flips up (saves taking you helmet on and off if you chew tobacco )

But my favourite helmet is one with a built-in flip-down sun visor for changing light conditions. Nothing worse that coming over a hill crest into bright sunlight with your sunglasses in your jacket pocket or wearing your sunglasses and having to navigate a twisty darkened section of road. Who really wants to change between tinted and clear visors, at the roadside, if it goes dark on you?

If you are looking for a serious track only helmet then the most important thing is having one that has Hans device connections.

Country
    New Zealand
    one of those old NASA helmets would be awesome to drive around in. Probably cost $1.2 billion though
    Check the url on the photo. Full suits rentable from $750 a week. They even have replica space craft if you want to spoil yourself.

Country
    United States
    Keep in mind that if you purchase a helmet made for motorcycle use (if lift is a concern), not as many of them are Snell SA rated which I believe is required by most types of auto racing or even a leisurely HPDE track day.

When I last needed to buy a helmet, I tried on quite a few. What surprised me is that if it fit my head/face properly, it often didn't do a good job accommodating my glasses. My eyeglasses are by no means large, but getting them on and able to sit on my face correctly through a helmet opening seemed to be a problem on most helmets. I ended up choosing a Pyrotect Pro Airflow model (see on their site here) specifically because it had the best fit with them on. There is a seam/indent in the padding on each side which makes the helmet look like it was engineered with that in mind. I think I read somewhere that Pyrotect was made by Bell also.

F26878313.jpg

Another perk this particular helmet offered was the ability to remove the padding completely by undoing a few metal snaps. The inner lining is removeable. Now I don't know if it's machine washable or anything (which would be nice after a hot day), but it sure made it easy to install the ear speakers and mic for the intercom system. The ear area has a bit more of an indentation built into the padding to fit ear speakers than my prior Bell helmets as well.

I can't say I've ever experienced lift with any of the helmets I've used in this car, probably because my head sticks up out of the car less than persons of larger size/stature. Plus, I have a custom windscreen which I think helps that as well. The quality the Pyrotect feels to be pretty good. There was only one thing I didn't like about this helmet which is the use of 'convoluted' padding in the forehead area.

ff_interior.jpg

I'm sure it was made to allow better ventilation than solid padding in that area, but it left my forehead with an impression of vertical zebra stripes after I removed the helmet. Was easily fixed in 5 minutes though by removing the inner liner with the snaps, separating the fabric covering the padding, and slightly recontouring the foam with an xacto knife. Although it bugged me, it probably wouldn't matter to most people.

I've used several Bell helmets prior to this and fitting the speakers/mic, as well as trying to get glasses on and off through the opening, were too much of a challenge. The Pyrotect models are usually priced to make them a great amount of bang for the buck. I've now done 5 trips across the country, more than 19,000 miles, in my car with a helmet on and I do love the Pyrotect. Longest stretch in the car with it on was about 19 hours and I recall minimal neck fatigue so its weight is more than acceptable. When it comes time to replace it when a new Snell certification year model is required, I will likelly be buying another. Although mine is a few years old, here's a very good video that talks about the features and construction of the current models

Ariel Atom 2, Ecotec 300, owner since 2007. Drive, Detail, Improve, Repeat. Visit my website.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast