Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: new member

n00b
    Country
    United States

I am joining this forum for the same reason many others may of have, i cant figure out how to get around my states dmv laws on the atom. I emailed tmi twice to find out if the atom is legal in ct and they didnt respond to either email. They had no problem giving me an estimate on a dual clutch transmission($15,000) when i asked in an email. I am 40 years old and have had 12 shoulder surgeries and can only ride my triumph motorcycle twice a month with pain patches on. A time will come soon where i will not b able to ride at all and thats why i want an atom. I have a 2009 base corvette which is nice but i want something to replace my bike and the atom is the closest thing i have found. I contacted the ct dmv twice and was told both times that it is illegal for ct roadways. On this forum and another one, it seems to be a sore subject when it come to asking about how to register one. It seems that it is a difficult process and i dont understand why atom owners dont want to help out newbies with the registration process. The atom is never gonna be a popular vehicle so exclusivity is almost guaranteed. Why not help out with the process? I have searched some forums and could not find any atoms ever registered in ct. Does anyone know if someone has registered one here? U can look me up on stocktwits under millsy and on the yahoo message board for stocks such as tqnt, gluu, himx to see that i am not a narc or dmv investigator. On the yahoo msg boards i am millsy0001. I just want to find out how to get one, thats it. Thanks jr miller naugatuck, ct

Electron
    Country
    United States
    If you can't register it in CT, out of state registration maybe the best bet for you. One of the friendlier states to register in is Montana. There's a few services setup to work as agents to help with this.

Country
    United States
    Simple answer is many states prohibit Atom useage on their precious roads because the square peg does not fit in their round hole.Some will even allow you to register an Atom; pay the sales tax,title fee and registration fees,hand you plates, and then tell you "Oh...By the way...sorry...but you can't drive your Atom on our state roads because it won't pass our mandated yearly State Inspections. Talk about a stick in the eye.
    If you want a street legal vehicle that comes close to the feel of a bike, I would consider a T-Rex or similar trike,as they are not "banned"....go figure!!
    The power of an Atom is a terrible thing to waste! Atom owner/operator since 2007. The more you chase perfection,the faster it becomes. John Force for President! (I asked him once in person...he laughed)

n00b
    Country
    United States
    Thanks for answering, i was not sure if i would get a response. I just wanted to b blunt instead of lurking and beating around the bush. I have thought about registering it in florida bcause i have a good friend there and i think u have to have that states id to get the atom registered. So i would have to make my residence in florida and have my permanent address hhis. Is anyone here a lawyer? I have a lot of free time since my shoulders are so screwed up and would love to try and get the law ammended here in ct but have no idea on how to start the process. I am dead serious about this and would appreciate any input on how to go about it. It sounds like a losing proposition but it is worth a shot. I saw a post about trying to pass a sema law but will have to research more. I owned a 2004 gsxr 600 and didnt need a special registration or license for that death machine. I am offering ct alot of tax $ on the purchase, taxes on it every year, reg fees every two years, plus insurace to ct businesses. I have seen lambos, ferraris, mazaratiis in ct but never an arial atom. I am not one of those tire kickers either. I had already talked to my contracter about puting an electrical winch in my garage so i could put a harness on myself and b pulled out of the driver seat so i wouldnt have to hurt my shoulder each time. I dont want to spend that crazy money on a used lambo or ferrari when i can get a new atom that is way cooler ( especially with the way to expensive but worth it wings) and it will blow their doors off for a fraction of the price.

Country
    United States
    Ct weather is a lot like Ma weather..if I were in your shoes I would be looking for a convertible C6 Corvette...a LOT more practical than an Atom...Uber-fast,airy,year round useable,easy to get in/out of,and 100% legal.
    The power of an Atom is a terrible thing to waste! Atom owner/operator since 2007. The more you chase perfection,the faster it becomes. John Force for President! (I asked him once in person...he laughed)

n00b
    Country
    United States
    I already own a 2009 corvette( me and my old man 73 yrs young) split the cost, insurance and he picks up the tax bill every year. It has the targa roof but it is not the same as riding a motorcycle and thats what i am looking for bcause its a matter of time until i wont be able to ride my triumph. Plus the atom is bad ass. It has AWESOME looks, extreme performance and how many people actually own one. Life is short and when u lose your health, u look at life differently. I want the best things and when i get them i take care of them like no other. I have things that are many years old but still look great bcause i take care of them. Dont get me wrong, i beat the piss out of the corvette at times but it is always clean, and maintenance is always done on it. It will last me 20years as long as my dad doesnt still want to drive it in his 80`s and smashes it up. Corvettes are cool but not even in the same ballpark as an atom

Country
    United States
    An Atom will never give you the feel of riding a motorcycle. Never.

Yes,the Atom is a great machine,but I believe you will be selling it within a year (or less) once the newness wears off.

Whatever floats your boat...and I wish you the best of luck in your quest.

You could schedule an Atom Experience with TMI to get a taste of the Atom. They are good people and devoted Atom enthusiasts.

Neutron
    Country
    United States
    Max, you are being a downer. That's usually my job

CT looks like it will be difficult. This looks like the best category. Composite vehicle.

DMV: Composite Vehicles

Looks like the option for a kit car. The Atom can be purchased new as a kit. You would need to supply your own honda engine. TMI can supply the rest, so all you have to do is drop in the engine.

It looks like the other option is to buy a used one that was already registered as a kit. Some, like mine, were registered as kits. Brammo, when they were making them, also supplied them as a kit for registration purposes.

The out of state registration is the next best option. Though I dont know the details.

Every registration of an Atom is going to be it's own challenge. The DMV doesnt like anything different. You can argue up and down the lack of logic about having motorcycles on the road but not a much safer 4 wheel version with seatbelts and a body that is one giant roll cage. No one wants to think for themselves.
    the high profile toy thrower

n00b
    Country
    United States
    Madmax why do u think i would get rid of it after a year? Are the atoms really rough on public streets and made much more for the track? I was gonna go do a track day with a friend of mine and might still go even if i cant figure a way to get it registered. I would never spend that amount of money first especially when they offer track days in one. For road use, what would u say are the negatives and positives? I can only ride my triumph tiger twice a month and have owned it for 4 years now. I wont get rid of it until all hope is lost so i think i would keep the atom for a long time but any thoughts from actual owners is welcome.

Country
    United States
    Sorry to piss in the punchbowl..but I'm an avid bike lover as well as an "experienced" Atom owner...and I can tell you with 100% certainty that you are looking at the wrong "sensation machine" if you are trying to emulate a motorcycle ride based on high performance motorcycles.

Yes,the Atom will drench you to your undies if it rains,and you visibility will be poor...same as a bike..

Yes,the Atom accelerates incredibly fast..and stops just as fast...with great road feel..same as a bike...

But the Atom is a very light car and is quite a handful approaching ludicrous speeds.

It has NO driver aids (no power steering,no power brakes etc etc) and poor rear visibility.

Entry and exit (important..) to the cockpit does takes some physical effort.

It attracts attention like a huge neon FREE sign....so if you are "illegal"..be prepared to defend yourself,or be fined and towed.

Just saying...

If it were me...I would do a T-Rex; they even have bike powered ones, are easy to enter,go fast..are quite unique and..... LEGAL in Ct.

Or move to an Atom friendly state. Some really are better than others in this regard.

I feel you will come up against a lot of resistance trying to drive one regularly on the street in a state that does not allow their registration/use.

There,I'm done...zzzzzip!
    Last edited by MadMaxAtom; November 3, 2013 at 06:17 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast