Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Car hauler trailer

Up Quark
    Country
    United States

Car hauler trailer

If I ever buy an atom, it would be for 100% track use, meaning I got to start looking at trailer options. So far my track experiences have always been on stock street cars so I really know nothing on the subject.

Do you guys think a trailer like this would work fine for the purpose, other than the need for longer ramps? Unfortunately I'm highly constrained in terms of size, the trailer needs to be less than 15 feet end-to-end, or it won't fit in the garage.

PW144580.JPG

Country
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick R View Post
    Do you guys think a trailer like this would work fine for the purpose, other than the need for longer ramps? Unfortunately I'm highly constrained in terms of size, the trailer needs to be less than 15 feet end-to-end, or it won't fit in the garage.
    The issue with a lot of the "mini" trailers (which are often intended for things other than road cars) other than the ramps is usually the clearance between the trailer's wheel arches / fenders. Get measurements of both the trailer and the Atom first. [Not all Atoms have the same edge-to-edge width due to different designs - 2 vs. 3, US vs. UK, etc. and tires also make a difference.]

Having said that, one of the AtomFest 2007 attendees rented a U-Haul trailer and brought his Atom on that. Other than having to re-position many times to unload the Atom on the side of a small hill (due to the stock short ramps) it worked.
    atom ant likes this.

Country
    United States
    If I ever buy an atom, it would be for 100% track use
    That makes me sad. Some of my fondest driving memories have been had behind the wheel of the Atom on one of the cross-country trips I've done over the 6 years I've owned it.

For track events more than an hour away (where it would be a serious inconvenience if I were not able to drive the car home), I use a tow dolly.

I can move it around one-handed (when unloaded), and it's quite short and fits practically anywhere. I tried several trailers, both rented and borrowed, prior to purchasing this and I love it. With the Atom on it, I can't even feel it behind my truck. Tows like a dream and I often push the Atom up onto it and off of it by hand relatively easily. I mention it as another option worth considering.

Then there's this Kendon folding stand-up trailer: Folding Car Trailer - Stand-Up Car Trailers and Folding Car Trailers for Custom Cars, ROV and UTV Applications .

Nifty video of it: Kendon Folding Car Trailer - YouTube . Skip to the end if you want to see it fold up.
    Ariel Atom 2, Ecotec 300, owner since 2007. Drive, Detail, Improve, Repeat. Visit my website.

Up Quark
    Country
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Lane View Post
    That makes me sad. Some of my fondest driving memories have been had behind the wheel of the Atom on one of the cross-country trips I've done over the 6 years I've owned it.
    I hear you. For me though, the apparent very high (and getting worse) difficulty of legally registering the vehicle for road use, coupled with the fact that I try to make the track experiences the occasion for a trip for the whole family, leaves me little room to maneuver. It's either driving off in a 2+2 car that can also be fun on the track, or get a track-only car that'll be towed... Besides, if I drove the Atom around in Brooklyn, people would probably throw bricks at me out of spite .

For track events more than an hour away (where it would be a serious inconvenience if I were not able to drive the car home), I use a tow dolly.

I can move it around one-handed (when unloaded), and it's quite short and fits practically anywhere. I tried several trailers, both rented and borrowed, prior to purchasing this and I love it. With the Atom on it, I can't even feel it behind my truck. Tows like a dream and I often push the Atom up onto it and off of it by hand relatively easily. I mention it as another option worth considering.

Then there's this Kendon folding stand-up trailer: Folding Car Trailer - Stand-Up Car Trailers and Folding Car Trailers for Custom Cars, ROV and UTV Applications .

Nifty video of it: Kendon Folding Car Trailer - YouTube . Skip to the end if you want to see it fold up.
    Many thanks for the tip. I've seen that tow dolly in another thread, and someone commented that they could foresee issues if the tow vehicle were to negotiate a ramp, did you encounter that problem?

Country
    United States
    If you're asking whether I've had any problems with sharp inclines when towing my dolly - the answer is no. I'm not sure I can see how it ever would be, actually. I've never scraped the ramps on the ground (the distance from the axle to the end of the ramps is pretty short). The fact that the platform is so low to the ground makes loading/unloading very easy. No need to ever find an incline to help with loading/unloading. No worries about the clearance under the rear end of the car either.

Only limitation it a tow dolly has is that because it has a pivot, you cannot back it up more than a few feet when the car is on it. But because all the weight is over the dolly's axle, there's no real weight at the end of the bar. I've unhitched it from the tow vehicle with the car on it when I once got in a pinch.
    Last edited by Lane; October 20, 2013 at 11:38 AM.
    Ariel Atom 2, Ecotec 300, owner since 2007. Drive, Detail, Improve, Repeat. Visit my website.

Country
    United States
    Besides, if I drove the Atom around in Brooklyn, people would probably throw bricks at me out of spite .
    Don't underestimate the size difference between the Atom and other vehicles on NYC streets. It can get rather overwhelming if you're not prepared.

Herald Square:

Bumper-to-bumper on the LIE:

But then there's fun stuff, too - Empire State Building, before anyone noticed:

The biggest problem is the very poor condition of the roads. There was an another Atom owner (SlowCharles) who had an NY-registered Atom in NYC, but he gave up some years ago.

Electron
    Country
    United States
    I was told tow dollies can't b used on rear wheel drive cars like this. It could damage the transmission even in neutral?

Country
    United States
    Probably depends on the car. In the Ecotec Atom, it's a front drive drivetrain even though it's a rear drive car. The cars where the drivetrain originates (Saturn Ion, Chevy Cobalt) are advertised by GM to the motorhome crowd as being flat-towable without a problem. I posted links in the past on the other forum to PDFs on a Saturn site with supporting info, but the links are since dead. I've towed my Atom on the dolly at least 1500 miles without any issues. Still gets the same looks that way too.

I'd be surprised if the Honda manual trans drivetrain were any different. Some Googling would probably answer the question.

Country
    United States
    You can tow any manual transmission vehicle with the drive wheels down,but NOT an automatic,as the automatic internals are lubricated by the hydraulic pump,which only happens if the engine is running(which drives the pump) You can tow an automatic in neutral IF the car/truck is running, without damaging the transmission,but most of the time if you are towing one,it is because it won't run. Manual transmissions are lubricated by the sump oil, and picked up by the gears,so it does not matter if the imput shaft is spinning or not (engine does not need to be running)
    The power of an Atom is a terrible thing to waste! Atom owner/operator since 2007. The more you chase perfection,the faster it becomes. John Force for President! (I asked him once in person...he laughed)

Country
    United States
    I am aware of some automatic transmission cars that are able to be flat towed without issues. I recall hearing something about having to have the key in the 'run' position, or maybe pulling a certain fuse/relay when doing so, or something similar. For the purposes of this discussion, it doesn't matter much, but I suspect it may be the Ion/Cobalt as well. Just wish I could find that old info from the Saturn website...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast