Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: interesting windscreen

Neutron
    Country
    United States
    The HUD is the Actisafety ASH 4 which I bought from this guy in Hong Kong. $90 with free shipping. Some resellers have it in the US for $160 or so.
    Aliexpress.com : Buy New Arrival ActiSafety Multi Car HUD ASH 4 More Details Showing OBD Insert Head Up Display OBD2 from Reliable obd2 car suppliers on OrientalEva Trade (HK) Company

The manual is mostly chinese and some pretty broken english so dont expect much.

I was going to gut it and try to make it a part of the dash.
    the high profile toy thrower

Country
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bolus View Post
    The HUD is the Actisafety ASH 4 which I bought from this guy in Hong Kong.

The manual is mostly chinese and some pretty broken english so dont expect much.

I was going to gut it and try to make it a part of the dash.
    EDIT: I completely missed the Vehicle Speed Sensor inputs on C3 pins 44 and 45. Please ignore the rest of this post, and refer to reply #64 for more details.

Let's back up a little. I don't think the PCM has information about how fast the car is going, since the speedometer transducer is wired directly to the dash, not via the PCM. The PCM can't even "guess" based on engine RPM, since it doesn't know what gear the car is in, nor whether the clutch is in or not. [IIRC, you needed to fit a clutch pedal switch for your paddle shifter.] The product description says it does not have GPS support, so it isn't calculating the speed that way.

Based on this, it's probably a non-starter (no pun intended) even if you can get it to display RPM, etc.
    Last edited by Terry Kennedy; September 16, 2013 at 11:35 PM. Reason: I made a boo-boo

Country
    United States
    There is speed... I can't remember how its getting it, or how accurate it is, but I remember seeing it in my HPTuner logs (actually just found a log I sent to Kempo back in 2008, and played it.. it does show vehicle speed). Gear position vs. RPM (calculated, and you have to get your tire circumference correct).

Country
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthChicken View Post
    There is speed... I can't remember how its getting it, or how accurate it is, but I remember seeing it in my HPTuner logs (actually just found a log I sent to Kempo back in 2008, and played it.. it does show vehicle speed). Gear position vs. RPM (calculated, and you have to get your tire circumference correct).
    Doh! It's on C3 pins 44 and 45 (VSS Low Signal and VSS High Signal, respectively). I didn't realize VSS was Vehicle Speed Sensor. Those are the purple and yellow wires in the picture in reply 27 in this topic. The MU3 transmission has no sensors in it to report what gear it is in. The automatic (not applicable to the Atom) has a separate TCM that knows what range the automatic is in.

So, the PCM knows how fast the transmission output shaft is rotating. Presumably wheel diameter is set when loading a calibration program into the PCM when manufactured, and HPTuners can probably modify it.
    Last edited by Terry Kennedy; September 17, 2013 at 12:20 AM. Reason: I can't speel, either...

Neutron
    Country
    United States
    There is a setting in the HUD to set the wheel diameter as well.

Neutron
    Country
    United States
    Picked up a bluetooth OBD dongle and a 7" android tablet and got Torque up and running without much difficultly, so I dont think I'll work on the chinese HUD anymore. Not a big fan of the look of torque, I hope I can modify it. But it has a HUD mode that I can make use of.

Country
    United States
    Picked up a bluetooth OBD dongle and a 7" android tablet and got Torque up and running without much difficultly, so I dont think I'll work on the chinese HUD anymore.
    The Chinese HUD thing says it wants 2009 or newer cars (depending on which listing you look at). I never signed up for auto-distribution of the OBDII spec, so I don't know if something was added 2009-ish that it needs, or if it is just some mis-translation of "car needs OBDII").

Best mistranslation ever: IKEA kitchen butcher block cart, presumably Chinese -> Swedish -> English: "It is best to be at least two people when assembling product this." I guess only people with multiple personality disorder need apply...

Neutron
    Country
    United States
    my HHR is 2006 and it works fine. Do you want to play with this thing? I could drop it in the mail to you and let you experiment with it. Im off to the next project of embedding LED's in my dash for shift lights and turn signals.

Country
    United States
    my HHR is 2006 and it works fine. Do you want to play with this thing? I could drop it in the mail to you and let you experiment with it. Im off to the next project of embedding LED's in my dash for shift lights and turn signals.
    Since it's only $99, why not?
    I can't guarantee I'll get to it anytime soon - my Atom hasn't been out of the garage this year.

Neutron
    Country
    United States
    I'd just send it to you. you dont need to pay for it. I probably owe you for something anyway. PM or email me your address again. I dont think I kept it anywhere.

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast