Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: interesting windscreen

Neutron
    Country
    United States
    Terry, if you dont mind disclosing your secrets, how do you learn about this stuff? before you posted your mouser links I was only able to determine that the connector body was not sold separately through GM. It is only sold (at least according to several GM sites) as a part of the harness. I can get a replacement plastic outer cover, but not the connector body itself. Even rockauto lists the incorrect connector as the PCM connector

Is this all experience or do you have some place that is able to search for replacement parts down to the pins like this? Because if you get abducted by aliens or something, it would be like loosing master Yoda
    the high profile toy thrower

Country
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bolus View Post
    Terry, if you dont mind disclosing your secrets, how do you learn about this stuff? before you posted your mouser links I was only able to determine that the connector body was not sold separately through GM. It is only sold (at least according to several GM sites) as a part of the harness. I can get a replacement plastic outer cover, but not the connector body itself.
    Most of it is knowing the right oddball keywords to put into the Delphi Connection Systems web site to get it to burp out something approximating what you're looking for, then using the "related documents" to work your way through the possibilities. The GM Microcat is sometimes useful, too, but if a part isn't something a dealer would need to fix a car, it won't be in the Microcat. So you'd probably find an expensive "Connector service kit" with pieces for all connectors, but not single pieces.

BTW, your picture looks like it is connector C2 on the PCM, so they didn't get things completely wrong.

If you really want to tear your hair out, try finding a specific LEMO connector. The Microdash uses it for the steering wheel display quick disconnect (much nicer than the disconnect on the stock dash, BTW). I had to go from a 4-pin to a 6-pin when I added the horn buttons to the steering wheel. LEMO connectors are also hideously expensive. And everything is a separate part number - connector / pins / shell / boots / screws / etc., all of which come in a vast variety of sizes. One of the folks at WCA 2010 mentioned his company was paying about 3 times as much for them as I got them for.

Neutron
    Country
    United States
    OK, I think I like this thing. though plastic, it is well engineered (germans). The supports are sturdy and the locking mechanism is very easy to use. I have it propped up in these pics so it is not attached to the car yet

I cant power the HUD yet but this is the reflection of what it would look like in the visual field reflecting some light. the LED on the HUD is much brighter than this.

I think this might be worth drilling 4 holes in the dash.....

Neutrino
    Country
    United States
    That's a lot bigger than I imagined I think it's gonna be too low to block wind if you have individual seats but that probably Isn't your goal here anyways

Neutron
    Country
    United States
    It will block wind better than anything I've had before. At the upper extension it is probably 6 inches higher than the bubbles. Plus the angle.

Neutrino
    Country
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bolus View Post
    It will block wind better than anything I've had before. At the upper extension it is probably 6 inches higher than the bubbles. Plus the angle.
    Oh I didn't realize it would be taller than the bubbles, that should work good then

Country
    United States
    Looks very promising

Country
    United States
    You can always fill the holes if you have to and repaint

Country
    United States
    Buy a windshield and be done with it...
    The power of an Atom is a terrible thing to waste! Atom owner/operator since 2007. The more you chase perfection,the faster it becomes. John Force for President! (I asked him once in person...he laughed)

Neutron
    Country
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MadMaxAtom View Post
    Buy a windshield and be done with it...
    I could buy a volvo too but not going to happen.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast