Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Becoming discouraged, help?

Country
    United States
    Sent you a PM about Colorado.

Colorado's govermnent's some shitty knee-jerk regulation on guns so if you're interested in ending up there I'd reconsider on principle. However they have a very rich hotrod and custom car culture there in the Denver metro area. Rod runs all over.

High Plains Raceway is a very fun, inexpensive race track too.

Now pot's legal there too if you like to drink a lot of microbrew and smoke a bunch of dope there's more incentive.

Particle
    Country
    United States
    Yup, it was pretty lame. I am stationed there at Carson now but I wont be staying, getting too blue.

Neutron
    Country
    United States
    I guess this would be considered open carry

the high profile toy thrower

Country
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Norm View Post
    Be prepared to listen to a bunch of stuff that you have to do and write it down. In my case the first place I went to, gave me a list of things I had to do, so, I took it all down and looked interested. I needed an inspection and a bunch of other stuff, I wasn't really listening. I then went into the next little City to the north and registered it without any of the crap the first place told me about fifteen minutes later. In other words, they have a lot more discretion than you think.
    I had a similar experience. It seems like every DMV is its own little kingdom, some with nice, understanding people... who can see that motorcycles are road legal (I.E. The Atom is much safer)..... and others that are run by closed minded jerks.
    "Opportunities do not come to those who wait; they are captured by those who attack."

Particle
    Country
    United States
    that mounted holster made my day, fantastic!

Neutrino
    Country
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by dpert1 View Post
    Y'all have my word, if/when I end up registering an atom I will never reference someone else's.

A list of easy to reg states would be helpful though...

you know the 1 easiest state of all....use that one, don't bother with anything else....just talk to "you know who" and you should be all set.

Down Quark
    Country
    United States

Ariel Atom in Oregon

I found DMV very confusing in OR. Also while talking to a shop in Oregon that sells arial atom as a kit he said that right now its very difficult with getting them registered. So at this point I'm looking to co-own an ariel or rent it for a few weeks at a time.

Particle
    Country
    United States
    Thanks so much to everyone that gave input and such. Discouragement is gone and I'm back on track to locate and join the molecule

Neutron
    Country
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by arielNW View Post
    I found DMV very confusing in OR. Also while talking to a shop in Oregon that sells arial atom as a kit he said that right now its very difficult with getting them registered. So at this point I'm looking to co-own an ariel or rent it for a few weeks at a time.
    The difficulty lies in the people working there, not the rules. Race activity vehicle code is for the Atom. In the DMV computer it says "qualifying cars: Ariel atom" It only lists one car that qualifies for the law. You should be able to buy an Atom, present it to the DMV and walk away with plates.

The people working there create the problems. The law says nothing about having "race activity vehicle" needing to be printed on the manufacturer's certificate of origin but the person (I'll refrain from calling her something worse) at the salem DMV headquarters has decided on her own to make this a requirement. She does not like the car. She is making it as difficult as possible to register for her own personal reasons. I once tried to convert my registration to this once (my car is older than the law) and the DMV worker first denied such a law existed, got pretty pissed that I would even suggest it existed, then after I made him look it up he started to give me crap about "wanting to race your car on the street." No Jackass, Im a 42 year old physician, Im trying to be compliant with the law not trying to race on the street.

If you bought a new Atom it should be this simple
    Oregon DMV Racing Activity Vehicles

The only other step besides the 2 forms to fill out, will be to get a VIN assigned.

If you decide to buy the kit, you make absolutely sure you never call it an Ariel Atom and register it as a kit car.

frickin easier to buy a gun and get a concealed permit than try and work with the DMV.

/rant
    the high profile toy thrower

Country
    New Zealand
    I'll add my two cents after that rant with some advice I've given before.

It seems to me that everyone state-side is, somewhat selfishly, doing their own thing. IMO there is as they say power in numbers. At the DMV you are an individual that the nastier natured official can afford to dick around. I wonder if, regardless of which state, they would be as keen to do so if the threat of a national recognised body existed that might even come after their arse.

I amazes me, when you know cars like bolus' is 7 years old and there are much larger numbers of owners in the US than anywhere else other than the UK, that you don't even have an official owners organisation. Without one you have no collective body to align with the manufacturer or deal with other organisations, including legislators. Seems some of you, as a group, should do it for the betterment of all current and future owners. A small annual subscription from a number of you along with the gift of donated time WILL bear fruits in the longer term.

I don't know if they are the correct organisation to help your cause but SEMA says on their site:
    "SEMA keeps close tabs on legislators in Washington, D.C., and also in each state within the United States, so SEMA members and anyone who loves cars and trucks can protest pending legislation that might harm our hobby, as well as endorse legislation thatís good for car lovers."
    Maybe having an American owners organisation that could be affiliated to such a group would help your cause over time.

In NZ I'm lucky that this work has been already done due to the previous efforts of a number of clubs (including hot rodders, off-roaders and kit car builders) who formed a joint organisation to tackle the government legislators. Our LVVTA (Low Volume Vehicle Transport Association) now helps write the specifications and set the certification process that allows cars like the Atom on the road here.

The more you keep tackling this problem by all differing methods without making your successes an official blue print, the more chance you have of coming unstuck. I think in lawyer circles they'd say "you need to set a few similar legal precedences."
    IMO being able to say you belong to a +50 strong organisation of national owners, all with legally registered cars, is perhaps going to make the the over officious DMV worker think twice about upsetting all of you.
    01100001 01110100 01101111 01101101 00110001

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast