Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Like It's Stolen

Thread: A couple of videos from my weekend romp.

Fermion

A couple of videos from my weekend romp.

bolus likes this.

Electron
    Country
    United States
    Nice empty roads, but no offense unless it is a "closed road" what you are showing is video evidence of reckless driving. I am all for a spirited drive, but I do that kind of driving on the track. Just my 2 c.

Fermion
    Very empty, no junctions and (though harder to see on the video) lots of spots where you can see ahead.

Having said all that, it's a valid point. At what point does spirited become wreckless?

Country
    United States
    I would say any time you cross the middle line, especially with the right hand side of the car

Fermion
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthChicken View Post
    I would say any time you cross the middle line, especially with the right hand side of the car
    Well that very much depends on the corner. Take this one for example, or this very long right hander just after that one. You're saying that anyone who uses the full width of the road to get a better line through the corner, at any speed, is reckless?

I would agree with you if you HAD to use the full width of the road to make the turn, if you were going so fast that physics dictated you had to. But I wasn't using the full width of the road to make the turn, I was using it to take the best line through the corner. When presented with corners like that, even when driving below the speed limit in a prius, I will use the full width of the road to make it as smooth as possible. Why make the tires work any harder than they have too?

Am I alone in this practice? Do all of your stick to the middle of your lane when presented with corners like the ones I linked to above?
    Last edited by Like It's Stolen; July 26, 2013 at 11:15 PM.

Country
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Like It's Stolen View Post
    Well that very much depends on the corner. Take this one for example, or this very long right hander just after that one. You're saying that anyone who uses the full width of the road to get a better line through the corner, at any speed, is reckless?

I would agree with you if you HAD to use the full width of the road to make the turn, if you were going so fast that physics dictated you had to. But I wasn't using the full width of the road to make the turn, I was using it to take the best line through the corner. When presented with corners like that, even when driving below the speed limit in a prius, I will use the full width of the road to make it as smooth as possible. Why make the tires work any harder than they have too?

Am I alone in this practice? Do all of your stick to the middle of your lane when presented with corners like the ones I linked to above?
    It's just my opinion, and take it for what its worth (which is about absolutely nothing, but that's why we're here, right? Civilized discussion on different opinions ) but to me, it doesn't matter if you're driving a prius, a tricycle, or a million dollar supercar. Double yellow means stay on your side of the road. If you're crossing, you're going too fast for whatever you're driving. And yes, I'm getting old

Fermion
    I welcome the debate too

The opinion of "double yellow = do not cross, ever" is a perfectly good one. For me (and this is my opinion of course) I would never overtake on either of those 2 corners, yes, could see ahead but I have no idea if the person I am overtaking is going to drift into the left lane to take the corner wider (as I would do). Also overtaking on solid yellows is a no-no.

But I would (and do) use the full width of the road when I can see far enough ahead. A long time ago someone told me "only drive as fast as you can see" and that's stuck with me. Blind right corner? Assume someone has fallen off their bike or broken down. Long open corner? Ignore the markings and take the best line through it.