Thread: License plate tracking (WTF)

Blog Entries
    Country
    United States

Country
    United States
    When Skynet uses the same systems to exterminate mankind. Duh.

Blog Entries
    Country
    United States
    I was thinking , I could take the license plate off the bumper and mount it under my truck. you could still see it from directly behind, but not from any camara above the truck. . wonder if that could work. Cycles mount them up under their fenders. Why not.

Country
    United States
    They installed redlight/speeding cameras where I live and I pulled the license plate off the bike and kept it under the pillion. Every time I got stopped I'd fish it out and tell them I lived in the ghetto and people kept vandalizing the thing so I'd lock up the plate. Worked just fine. Of course there were usually other reasons I got stopped which I always managed to iron-out with the judge.

I've been stopped like 20 times with the Atom so another few times for the bike and commuter car doesn't matter to me much. I figure I'm providing job security for the lazy traffic police. If the camera does their job for them what is their job for?

Country
    United States
    Not anytime soon. Also, you're being tracked by EZ-Pass / whatever they call it in your area if you have a tag.

As someone I know on a another forum said, "I have a friend named Butthead who <insert something stupid here>". Well, Butthead cut open an EZ-Pass:

and modified it to go "Beep!" whenever it was read. You'd be amazed at the number of non-toll-related readers out there. I have only encountered ONE type of non-toll system that is both a) useful and b) something I'd trust (because I've audited its software) - it reads any tags that go by and stores only a 16-bit hash of the tag number (so, not rerversible to a tag number by anybody, ever). After a congested area around 5 miles down the road, there is another reader. It looks for the same tag coming by and uses the average time between the first and second readers (it needs at least 1 car every 5 minutes) to display a "X Minutes to Foo" message on a sign back at the beginning, so people know how long it will take to get through the congested area. Note that this is only one brand / model of system that I've audited the code for - other such systems may not have such privacy protections in place and may capture and store the full tag info indefinitely.