Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Convert SRA to road legal.

Particle
    Country
    United States

Convert SRA to road legal.

Sorry for a newbie question. I am thinking about getting a SRA. I have a trailer to take a SRA to track but can I buy lights and parts down the road to convert to be street legal Ariel Atom.

Country
    United States
    SRA= not for street use. Maybe in some very very car friendly states (Az?) could you possibly add lights etc etc and register one,but from the factory,was never intended to be a street use car.
    The power of an Atom is a terrible thing to waste! Atom owner/operator since 2007. The more you chase perfection,the faster it becomes. John Force for President! (I asked him once in person...he laughed)

Lepton
    Country
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MadMaxAtom View Post
    SRA= not for street use. Maybe in some very very car friendly states (Az?) could you possibly add lights etc etc and register one,but from the factory,was never intended to be a street use car.
    Neither were Atoms that came with lights from the factory. They came with a sticker making that quite clear.

Add lights, a horn, and a parking brake and you should be good in many states. How would they know if it originally had them or not?
    "You little punk bitch." -Wade Huisman, Keizer Wheels

Country
    United States
    Same here, My Atom came without lights too. I had to buy the "quick detach road race lighting package" to get the signals, backup light and headlights. A package that also wasn't intended to be used on public roads.

My "off road use only" AA2's been registered and road legal for 6.5 years now. Go figure.

As for converting an SRA, you'll likely have to add to the wiring harness for all the lights, add the parking brake, and depending on your state's registration/emissions regs you might have to add an OBD2 port and catylitic converter too. If there's a decibel requirement too then a quieter muffler may be in order too.

Country
    United States
    Many states also require fenders,windshields,parking brakes,wipers etc etc etc...all I am saying is the factory sells SRAs as race cars,not potential street cars,and they are basically stripped down Atoms, missing most of even the basic road required equipment,so in the long run,is it really worth it to buy one and "convert" it? Especially when the manufacturer says it is not for road use,period. Some states will pull your tags as soon as they become aware of such a statement. Registration is a privilege and can be revoked easily. Do I agree with it? No,but authority usually wins.

Hell..in some states you can register your lawnmower..

Michigan has a procedure for assembled vehicle registration,link provided; http://www.michigan.gov/sos/0,1607,7...5476--,00.html

It looks like Michigan requires a safety glass windshield,wipers,washer,bumpers at a specific height..etc etc etc...click on the "related documents" link at the bottom of the assembled vehicle page for on road equipment requirements.

I can actually get an Atom registered in Massachusetts,but NO Ma. state inspection station will issue a yearly inspection sticker for the vehicle,so not legal for road use in Ma. Kind of a catch 22.. they will take your sales tax money,issue you a title and plates,but you can't get it safety inspected,and even if you found someone who would look the other way about some of the requirements,the first time you get pulled over and have your car towed off..you won't be happy,and neither will the place that gave you the sticker. Some people try to get around the State inspection requirement by registering their cars out of state..but that doesn't make it "legal"...and you may pay the price if caught.

The key word in all this is "LEGAL".
    Last edited by MadMaxAtom; July 8, 2013 at 01:50 PM.
    The power of an Atom is a terrible thing to waste! Atom owner/operator since 2007. The more you chase perfection,the faster it becomes. John Force for President! (I asked him once in person...he laughed)

Blog Entries
    Country
    United States
    Pm Tom Kreiger I believe thats his name , He has his regestered here in Michigan. Mine Is still in pieces. sorry I'm not to that point yet.

Electron
    Country
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by McFred View Post
    As for converting an SRA, you'll likely have to add to the wiring harness for all the lights, add the parking brake, and depending on your state's registration/emissions regs you might have to add an OBD2 port and catylitic converter too. If there's a decibel requirement too then a quieter muffler may be in order too.
    FYI: I'm pretty sure the SRA has an OBDII port from the factory, I've never actually tried to find it but am told it's "located on engine-bay side of rear bulkhead, under ECU"

Neutrino
    Country
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Buckingham View Post
    FYI: I'm pretty sure the SRA has an OBDII port from the factory, I've never actually tried to find it but am told it's "located on engine-bay side of rear bulkhead, under ECU"
    atom 3's are not obd II compliant honda ecu's aren't like the ecotec's where they can be set up to work with inspections

Down Quark
    Country
    United States
    Have been wondering this exact same thing. Even if it costs $10k to convert an spec Atom to 'street legal' Atom, I think that's worth it.
    I'm in Ohio and have no idea how strict or lax Ohio DMV is on this sort of thing.
    Anyone successfully converted a spec Atom to street legal in Ohio . . . or anywhere else for that matter?

Lepton
    Country
    United States
    TMI has a 2013 SRA for only $34,500.

2013 Spec:RaceAtom — Welcome to ArielAtom.com
    "You little punk bitch." -Wade Huisman, Keizer Wheels

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast