Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: First 1/4 mile run with new engine

Lepton
    Country
    United States

First 1/4 mile run with new engine

Not a great run, but at least the engine is working well. The car felt twitchy, so I'm going to have to see what's causing that.

Ariel Atom 1/4 mile 12.0 at 117.7 mph - YouTube
    "You little punk bitch." -Wade Huisman, Keizer Wheels

Electron
    Country
    United States
    It almost looks like you are not stepping on the gas... the first 2 gears literally goes by in the blink of an eye but looking at your shift timing and pattern they just seem very long some how.
    The stock 1/4 should be around 11 flat, some have gotten into the 10s.

Neutrino
    Country
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by RyanD View Post
    Not a great run, but at least the engine is working well. The car felt twitchy, so I'm going to have to see what's causing that.

Ariel Atom 1/4 mile 12.0 at 117.7 mph - YouTube

damn I think I got a 11.9 starting in 2nd gear with a bone stock atom.....heat soaked like a mug.....guess it's all about traction or something!

Neutrino
    Country
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by atom ant View Post
    It almost looks like you are not stepping on the gas... the first 2 gears literally goes by in the blink of an eye but looking at your shift timing and pattern they just seem very long some how.
    The stock 1/4 should be around 11 flat, some have gotten into the 10s.
    I looked at it again....it def took way took long before the first gear change, so I'm wondering if you started in 2nd gear?

Neutrino
    Country
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by silver View Post
    I looked at it again....it def took way took long before the first gear change, so I'm wondering if you started in 2nd gear?

this is a run from a LONG time ago.....hit the rev limiter, spun the wheels all the way down the track, still did 12.1...so something ain't right with your car or your feet

oops my bad my 2nd gear launch was 12.1

Lepton
    Country
    United States
    The car is fine. I was taking it easy because that was the first time I've run through the gears since I built the engine. Yes, I started in 2nd and didn't really care about getting a good launch.

I was "granny shifting, not double clutching like you should".

Lepton
    Country
    United States
    oops my bad my 2nd gear launch was 12.1
    What was your trap speed? That's all I'm concerned with for now. 120-125 mph is normal, and I can definitely hit 120+ with faster shifts.

Maybe the rain will hold off Wednesday and I can get more runs. I went on a Friday, which turned out to be a bad idea. They shut down the track for 2 hours to run some stupid contests.

Neutrino
    Country
    United States
    The car is fine. I was taking it easy because that was the first time I've run through the gears since I built the engine. Yes, I started in 2nd and didn't really care about getting a good launch.

I was "granny shifting, not double clutching like you should".
    oh I misunderstood it that you were asking for reasons why you were slow...oops

Neutrino
    Country
    United States
    What was your trap speed? That's all I'm concerned with for now. 120-125 mph is normal, and I can definitely hit 120+ with faster shifts.

Maybe the rain will hold off Wednesday and I can get more runs. I went on a Friday, which turned out to be a bad idea. They shut down the track for 2 hours to run some stupid contests.
    looks like 118 from that video I posted...I'm not sure.

watch the video you can see I bogged down hard and for quite a while before it took off.

no worries, though that's when the car was heatsoaking and 200whp, it's now at 280whp and doesn't heatsoak....so I'm sure times would be better if I ever tried to drag race it again

Lepton
    Country
    United States

no worries, though that's when the car was heatsoaking and 200whp, it's now at 280whp and doesn't heatsoak....so I'm sure times would be better if I ever tried to drag race it again
    At what IAT2 temp does it start to pull timing? I was thinking it was above 140F, but I couldn't find it in the search. The highest I've seen is about 125F and it comes back down to 105F. The heat exchangers were around 90F. I haven't made a bunch of hard runs in a row though.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast