Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: First 1/4 mile run with new engine

Country
    United States
    Sorry Max, I'm with RyanD, the waiver should suffice. 40,000 americans die just commuting to work every year. Bad things happen and people die. You cannot protect everyone from themselves.

Lawyers and litigious cattle in this country ruin everything.

That's why there's no Isle of Man TT, Dakar, Baja or WRC/hillclimbing (besides Pike's Peak) in this country. No one's allowed to risk their lives for anything and no one's held responsible for their own poor decisions, be it the driver/crew or the spectators.

There's a reason that street racing exists, not that I condone it.

Country
    United States
    I'm not a big one for rules and restrictions,but while out on track,I am glad safety rules exist and are enforced.Saftey equipment is a very good thing. I have seen some very bad things happen that could have easily been avoided by careful inspection or wearing proper attire beforehand. Safety rules and equipment do help limit carnage in my experience. The more you race,the sooner you will agree.
    A liability waiver/release is of little use in todays sue happy world.People attend events,something happens,and rather than chalk it up to experience,they sue the track,participants,sponsors...you name it.

I'll accept the rules and use the safety equipment so I can legally race, vs. street "racing".

It's all about being responsible I guess,and living 55 years long and thanking God for the many lessons learned along the way.
    Last edited by MadMaxAtom; June 21, 2013 at 08:49 AM.
    The power of an Atom is a terrible thing to waste! Atom owner/operator since 2007. The more you chase perfection,the faster it becomes. John Force for President! (I asked him once in person...he laughed)

Country
    United States
    Gotta side with Max on this one. The safety rules are there for you and the members of your crew. (Something like that from TopGun). It's not just the driver it's every innocent bystander. I don't want to be the victim of someones ability to drive a POS, fly apart and kill me because it's my turn to catch shrapnel or the steering wheel came off in their hand because baling wire didn't hold it. Nor do I want to be responsible for being the one to inflict that on others. Which is precisely the reason I no longer give ride alongs to passengers on track.

Wanna argue right and wrong, argue with the stupid asses who didn't follow the rules and caused all of what you complain of. If everyone exercised good judgement then all that crap wouldn't be necessary, lead the change, be the change.

Be safe or go home. I'm so sorry my stupidity killed (fill in the blank) doesn't cut it if you've ever heard it yourself.
    Last edited by Positron; June 21, 2013 at 08:27 PM.
    AtomII #73 for sale, PM for details.

Turning money into smoke and noise since 2006.
    Member "I drove the Brammo mule with Tom S." club.

Lepton
    Country
    United States
    If anyone else needs one, there are SFI jackets for $20 shipped on Ebay. No point spending any real money on one unless I'm going full Nomex head to toe.

I bought wrestling shoes for driving instead of actual racing shoes since they're pretty much the same thing except for not being fireproof. Wearing Nomex shoes with jeans is pretty worthless.
    "You little punk bitch." -Wade Huisman, Keizer Wheels

Lepton
    Country
    United States
    Finally got a chance to try the drag strip again. Ran a 11.38 at 121 MPH, so the improved tune made a difference. Second run was about the same. It was about 80 degrees, and the IAT2 temps were fairly high. They were over 150 at the end of the run.

Timeslip 11.3.jpg

Blog Entries
    Country
    United States
    Your time would be quicker with a faster reaction time.

Country
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Atommatt View Post
    Your time would be quicker with a faster reaction time.
    Ummm…no..the clock doesn't start till you break the beam.You can sit on the start line for 10 minutes and still run an 11 second time. However, reaction time does affect who wins the race. If you and your opponent have identical track times,the racer with the faster reaction time wins..unless you are racing brackets and break out (go quicker than your dial in) or if you leave too early and red light.
    Last edited by MadMaxAtom; July 23, 2015 at 10:42 AM.
    The power of an Atom is a terrible thing to waste! Atom owner/operator since 2007. The more you chase perfection,the faster it becomes. John Force for President! (I asked him once in person...he laughed)

Country
    United States
    R/T does not matter but the 60' does. 1.9 sounds like you've got a lot of wheel spin. Tires with a tall sidewall will help that a lot. Low-profile circuit track tires are not nearly as forgiving in the straight-line game. You can save time if you don't have to shift to 5th near the end by tailoring the tire diameter to trap before you need to shift (forgive me, I'm ignorant about your gear ratios).

Country
    United States
    A 1.9 short time ain't bad considering it's been..over two years since he did a drag strip run with the car...

Lepton
    Country
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MadMaxAtom View Post
    A 1.9 short time ain't bad considering it's been..over two years since he did a drag strip run with the car...
    A6s with 2-degrees camber aren't really made for launches. Might try some drag slicks on the stock rims. Has anyone tried drag slicks? Looks like there is a Hoosier Quick Time Pro that would fit.

Here are videos of my two decent runs. They were pretty similar.
    https://youtu.be/vFjjoEZor3g
    https://youtu.be/1nw9oNZjkgQ

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast