Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: First 1/4 mile run with new engine

Country
    United States
    I want to say we were disappointed that it seemed to make less psi than the heaton, but because it was 1.3 more (cooler) wind, it made more power at a lower psi.

I know I was disappointed that it didn't scream same as the heaton, but put down mo' power and mo' power is where it's at.

(less weight > mo' power.. now)

But yeah, I was changing belt about every 6 track days because of extended WFO throttle time. You can't visually tell if it's worn. Gates has an app for that. (really)..
    AtomII #73 for sale, PM for details.

Turning money into smoke and noise since 2006.
    Member "I drove the Brammo mule with Tom S." club.

Lepton
    Country
    United States
    I checked the blower solenoid. It's tight, but I don't see anything that would interfere with it moving. The rod moves linearly, right?

Ah, Jegs explains it! The upgraded head with larger valves and upgraded cam allows in more air at higher RPM than on a stock LSJ head resulting in lower boost. On a stock LSJ head, the boost climbs near redline because it runs out of cam.

Superchargers - Blowers - Roots Type - Centrifugal

"One important thing to keep in mind with respect to Weiand roots superchargers is that throughout the rpm range, the air ratio of the supercharger is consistent with the engine displacement. Supercharger boost, however, is not totally constant.

This is because at lower blower speeds, the clearances between the supercharger case and the rotors allows for air "leakage" with some loss of boost efficiency. If your engine is not as free-breathing as it could be (because it has a stock or low performance cam, small valves, restricted ports, etc.) you will typically see the boost readings go up in the higher rpm ranges. This is because the boost the blower is making cannot fully get into the cylinders due to these restrictions, and the boost pressure starts building up in the manifold, which is typically where the boost readings are taken, therefore, artificially high readings will be observed. Interestingly, this means a supercharged engine can make more power with lower reading on the boost gauge."
    "You little punk bitch." -Wade Huisman, Keizer Wheels

Lepton
    Country
    United States
    I went back to the track last night. My plan was to make a couple of runs with the 3.15" pulley and then switch to the 2.9" pulley to see how much difference it would make. It ran 11.80 at 118.8 with a 2.0 60-ft. Probably needed a better burnout because the tires spun a lot even with launching in 2nd.

I was then told that I couldn't run anymore because that was too fast for not having arm restraints and an SFI jacket. WTF? I just spent $750 on a helmet and gloves. More money down the drain.

Neutrino
    Country
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by RyanD View Post
    I went back to the track last night. My plan was to make a couple of runs with the 3.15" pulley and then switch to the 2.9" pulley to see how much difference it would make. It ran 11.80 at 118.8 with a 2.0 60-ft. Probably needed a better burnout because the tires spun a lot even with launching in 2nd.

I was then told that I couldn't run anymore because that was too fast for not having arm restraints and an SFI jacket. WTF? I just spent $750 on a helmet and gloves. More money down the drain.
    Oh yeah arm restraints are not easy to drive with, but they are inexpensive. When I got the atom I got those and a used fire suit from a friend of mine that races

Country
    United States
    "More money down the drain"

Safety equipment is never,ever a waste,especially the first time it saves you from harm or death.
    The power of an Atom is a terrible thing to waste! Atom owner/operator since 2007. The more you chase perfection,the faster it becomes. John Force for President! (I asked him once in person...he laughed)

Lepton
    Country
    United States
    Ariel Atom 1/4 mile 11.8 at 118.8 mph - YouTube

I'll do a better burnout next time. Not sure if that will help much with A6 tires or if I'd need drag slicks to do better. That was a 2.0 60-ft and the car should be able to do a 1.6 or better.

Lepton
    Country
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MadMaxAtom View Post
    "More money down the drain"

Safety equipment is never,ever a waste,especially the first time it saves you from harm or death.
    Their rules are nonsense. I technically also need SFI certified clutch, flywheel and scatter shield just because the car is light. The exact same motor in a Cobalt would not require anything. I just need a really heavy passenger.

If you're going to make me sign a waiver relieving you of all responsibility, then don't tell me what to do.

Country
    United States
    "Their rules are nonsense"

I have personally seen too many injuries (and deaths.. ) to ever agree with this statement.

They may seem overprotective,but the first time you see a flywheel explode at 7K rpms and impale innocent spectators and track personnel,you will see the light.

There is a very valid reason why the rules of safety are in place,and it's not so you have to spend money or be inconvenienced; If the track cannot procure insurance,you will not have anywhere to run.

Racetracks must follow sanctioning body safety guidelines (NHRA/IHRA/SCCA/NASCAR etc) to qualify for group liability coverage.No insurance,no track time.

The lighter the car,the more likely exploding bits will find their way out of their protective mass enclosure. Think about how much metal is around a Cobalt flywheel and then compare that to an Atom. No contest which one I would want to be standing next to in the case of an explosion. If you don't think it can happen,you haven't been to the track much...
    Last edited by MadMaxAtom; June 21, 2013 at 05:01 AM.
    The power of an Atom is a terrible thing to waste! Atom owner/operator since 2007. The more you chase perfection,the faster it becomes. John Force for President! (I asked him once in person...he laughed)

Lepton
    Country
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MadMaxAtom View Post
    They may seem overprotective,but the first time you see a flywheel explode at 7K rpms and impale innocent spectators and track personnel,you will see the light.
    What does that have to do with the ET of the car? If you have a 14-second car on drag slicks spinning a flywheel at 7k RPM you don't even need a helmet. Nonsense. The rules are written for people driving a 1963 POS. A lot of showroom factory stock cars are illegal to race.

SCCA requires scattershields if you are running non-DOT slick tires. At least that is more logical.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=oDA2mrdpR7s
    OMG! 10's in a bone stock car! Somebody stop them before they kill somebody!
    Last edited by RyanD; June 21, 2013 at 05:51 AM.

Country
    United States
    Even with the safety rules in place,which are constantly being updated, very bad things happen. Does that mean there should be NO rules? Being a safety inspector for my local racing club,the violations I come across are to the point of stupid-scary. Seat belts held in with wire ties..altered DOT helmet tags on 30 year old helmets..seats held in with sheet metal screws..fuel tanks held in with bungee cords..it goes on and on...and when confronted,the people all say it's their necks they are risking.
    The problem is it isn't only their lives they are playing with. If they want to juggle with live hand grenades,they should do so all alone in a large sand pit.

The faster the ET,the faster the speeds achieved,and the greater the risk of carnage,so the rules have to start somewhere.

A stock ZO6 Corvette will destroy my very highly modified Focus on track,and the ZO6 can be run bone stock,with only an SA2010 helmet required.
    I must wear a fire suit,fire gloves,fire shoes,arm restraints,SFi (or FIA) 6 point harness, and have at minimum of a 4 point roll bar made of at least 1.5" DOM .120 wall mild steel tubing.
    The Corvette has been manufactured to very high factory standards by GM and has to meet very strict safety standards from the DOT and NHTSA.
    The Focus..not so much...
    Last edited by MadMaxAtom; June 21, 2013 at 08:21 AM.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast