Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Your Story -- Getting your Atom legal for the road

  1. #1
    Up Quark
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    21
    Country
    United States

    Your Story -- Getting your Atom legal for the road

    I'd love to hear your stories on how you got your Atom on the road. When did you begin the process? Was your Atom previously registered before your purchase? The easy parts, the difficult parts. How much time each step took. The information you needed to obtain.

    As of now, I'm having a heck of a time with this. I'll save the details for later, but the car has been in my garage for a month now, just sitting there. And I'm running into brick wall after brick wall. I'm trying to be patient, understanding, and diligent however. So I was curious how you guys did it, and what emotions you had to go through to get it finished. I figured it might be a good read.

  2. #2
    Neutrino
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Dallas Texas...YEE-HAW
    Posts
    1,213
    Country
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Vhayne View Post
    I'd love to hear your stories on how you got your Atom on the road. When did you begin the process? Was your Atom previously registered before your purchase? The easy parts, the difficult parts. How much time each step took. The information you needed to obtain.

    As of now, I'm having a heck of a time with this. I'll save the details for later, but the car has been in my garage for a month now, just sitting there. And I'm running into brick wall after brick wall. I'm trying to be patient, understanding, and diligent however. So I was curious how you guys did it, and what emotions you had to go through to get it finished. I figured it might be a good read.
    I was the first person to register / title, insure an atom in Texas in 2007.

    This thread should honestly go hidden before people start discussing details as these sites are monitored by authorities and nothing good usually comes out of these threads.

    One question is what lead you to buy new versus a used atom 2 (which is probably a ton easier to register) feel free to PM me b/c we don't need to discuss this info publically

  3. #3
    Up Quark
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    21
    Country
    United States
    Seriously? I don't know what to say to that, other than "I'm sorry" I guess. I had no idea that registering these things was such a private and secretive situation. Seems a bit ridiculous personally, no offense. I mean it's apparently easy to register dune buggies for road use. And yes, it is quite complicated to go through the process of getting an Atom registered, but to not be allowed to discuss it seems kindof, I don't know, paranoid?

    To answer your question why I went new over used.... It was actually a surprise gift from my wife to have an Atom built. I had talked about a blue-framed Atom for quite some time, and until now, there were none in the world apparently. That, and I thought I'd enjoy the build process (which I did), and being able to choose all of the components on the car (which is maxed).

  4. #4
    Neutrino
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Dallas Texas...YEE-HAW
    Posts
    1,213
    Country
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Vhayne View Post
    Seriously? I don't know what to say to that, other than "I'm sorry" I guess. I had no idea that registering these things was such a private and secretive situation. Seems a bit ridiculous personally, no offense. I mean it's apparently easy to register dune buggies for road use. And yes, it is quite complicated to go through the process of getting an Atom registered, but to not be allowed to discuss it seems kindof, I don't know, paranoid?

    To answer your question why I went new over used.... It was actually a surprise gift from my wife to have an Atom built. I had talked about a blue-framed Atom for quite some time, and until now, there were none in the world apparently. That, and I thought I'd enjoy the build process (which I did), and being able to choose all of the components on the car (which is maxed).
    Congrats on the atom that frame looks fantastic.

    It's not paranoia or anything, it's experience. I've had my atom since 2007, I've been an active forum member since 2006 on the other forum, I've seen lots of bad things happen.

    My statement is not to be taken as condescending, it's just a head's up...these sites are monitored, people have been messed with due to what they post here or on the other forum. People have had their insurance policies cancelled because someone said something they shouldn't have....it's just better to be cautious and handle these items privately versus openly so it's merely a suggestion.

    again, PM me if you want some help, I'm not here to anything but help.

  5. #5
    Down Quark
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    7
    Country
    United States

    Great Idea

    I think you have a fantastic idea. I think it serves us all well to hear from others about their registration hurdles etc. That is my idea of what a forum such as this should be. Sharing stories like these help us all. I personally don't understand what harm could come from helping others save time and aggravation getting one of these street legal. Tell us all your regristration and title stories, please.

  6. #6
    Neutrino
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Dallas Texas...YEE-HAW
    Posts
    1,213
    Country
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by doublebogey View Post
    I think you have a fantastic idea. I think it serves us all well to hear from others about their registration hurdles etc. That is my idea of what a forum such as this should be. Sharing stories like these help us all. I personally don't understand what harm could come from helping others save time and aggravation getting one of these street legal. Tell us all your regristration and title stories, please.
    It's a great idea, however, it needs to be private.

    I've messaged Steve about setting up a private room that's not visible to Bot's or google searches and only real humans interested in the atom can access.


    There are a lot of "lurkers" such as yourself that haven't been in the atom world since the beginning....and you're exactly right you don't know why it should be kept quiet.....because we've done a good job keeping all the issues a private matter.

    I've already filled Vhayne in and he can fill you in, I'm on my way out of town.

    Hopefully soon we can get a private room set up that we can all openly share the trials and tribulations of how to handles matters such as insurance, titling, registration.......and making your own parts.... these are hot button topics that have had very horrible consequences in the past due to not treating them delicately.

  7. #7
    Neutrino MadMaxAtom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Usually in my shop..
    Posts
    1,583
    Country
    United States
    Silver is correct: this discussion needs to be private,because people in the past have boldly gone where they should not have,and made a mess of it for those who try to follow,and even for those who have come before,and it often ends badly.
    Every state is different,and each Atom can be unique,so there is not always one path to the grail.
    It is a shame it has to be this way,but such is life today.
    The power of an Atom is a terrible thing to waste! Atom owner/operator since 2007. The more you chase perfection,the faster it becomes. John Force for President! (I asked him once in person...he laughed)

  8. #8
    Up Quark
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    21
    Country
    United States
    Sounds like an excellent idea Silver.

  9. #9
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    172
    Country
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by doublebogey View Post
    I think you have a fantastic idea. I think it serves us all well to hear from others about their registration hurdles etc. That is my idea of what a forum such as this should be. Sharing stories like these help us all. I personally don't understand what harm could come from helping others save time and aggravation getting one of these street legal. Tell us all your regristration and title stories, please.

    this is the main problem, 2 post people coming in and then wanting info and the info gets out.


    my problem was asking and not getting any info.. then the powers that do suggest info tell you the completely wrong way.. they tell you "well son, this is how i did it" and they might have done it that way 3-4 years ago and gotten thru on a loophole that hasnt caught up with them yet and they feel they are all knowing.

    i have gone the legit way, and it only caused problems... major problems..

    there are maybe 3 ways you can go about registering them..


    fwiw i feel that TMI should setup an LLC with someone that is personally certified to "install engines in kit cars" and sell them that way.. if the vehicle came with dual MCO's... then it would make this whole problem VERY simple..


    that's as much as i want to say in a public forum.. i'd love to help people.. but the emails i do get are people that dont have cars.. and hot to get info but dont want t share any of their info.. so i cant trust to them to send them the "right way"...

  10. #10
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    172
    Country
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by silver View Post
    It's a great idea, however, it needs to be private.

    I've messaged Steve about setting up a private room that's not visible to Bot's or google searches and only real humans interested in the atom can access.


    There are a lot of "lurkers" such as yourself that haven't been in the atom world since the beginning....and you're exactly right you don't know why it should be kept quiet.....because we've done a good job keeping all the issues a private matter.

    I've already filled Vhayne in and he can fill you in, I'm on my way out of town.

    Hopefully soon we can get a private room set up that we can all openly share the trials and tribulations of how to handles matters such as insurance, titling, registration.......and making your own parts.... these are hot button topics that have had very horrible consequences in the past due to not treating them delicately.

    i feel:


    we need a private section of the forum.

    100post minimum or a certain time registered to view...

    and nobody discusses anything outside that section.. not even that the section exists... when people put in time and so forth.. the section appears and then they get help.


    i posted something once about keeping the info private.. i get 5 emails within 2 days about "i have an atom, and need help" the second i ask them their chassis number, and their name so i could confirm they have said atom (via TMI) then eveything gets silent...

    if they had an atom, or had an order pending.. and want important info.. why wouldn't they tell me any of said info to get everything settled...just doesnt make sense.

Similar Threads

  1. 2007 Atom 2 330hp Street Legal / Registered For Sale
    By silver in forum US Atoms for Sale
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: August 2, 2014, 07:26 AM
  2. Wanted:Street Legal Atom for a reasonable price
    By piper2642 in forum Welcome New Members! You MUST post here first to activate your account!
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: April 18, 2013, 08:14 PM
  3. Do road regulations in your state require head lights at a c
    By Gage in forum General Ariel Atom Discussion (for all UK and US versions)
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: January 19, 2013, 09:28 AM
  4. Street legal formula ford?
    By bolus in forum Humor and Off-Topic Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: September 17, 2012, 07:45 PM
  5. Why a Windshield is required on public road!!
    By Cyberbug in forum Humor and Off-Topic Discussion
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: April 12, 2012, 08:19 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •