Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Water temp (AA3 - K24Z7)

Fermion

Water temp (AA3 - K24Z7)

Howdy
    Northern California AA3 owner with the Honda K24Z7 engine. I've seen the engine temp hit 200 on warm days, is this normal? Seema a little high.
    Just wondering if I should be looking at a bigger rad or just ignoring it. I've never seen it hit more than 200.

Cheers

Country
    United States
    Yes, that seems high for normal cruising. But it shouldn't be an issue if it does run warm. If you beat on it you might consider a thicker oil to keep the viscosity up at temperature.

It takes mid 90s+ and drafting someone on the freeway 80+mph to hit more than 200˚F on my K-series Atom 2. It's a different story at the track though. I can get some heatsoak after idling into/around the pits after hot laps. It hangs around upper 180's in clean air 'round circuits.

Electron
    Country
    United States
    I have a k24z7 also. My temp stays pretty consistent at 188-192. A lot of city driving causes it to get up to 200 on occasion. Your fan should kick on at 195, which normally brings the temp back down to 185-190 (unless your driving it hard or sitting in traffic on a warm day).

The main thing is that your fan should be kicking on at 195. If its not, you should check into that first.

I am always watching my temp and I don't like that it can reach 195+. However, I've seen the same temp on other cars, so I'm assuming it's ok.
    Last edited by Dbwy; May 6, 2013 at 09:42 PM.

Fermion
    The fan does kick in and does it's job. It's mainly only when i'm in traffic on hot days. Thanks guys

Country
    United States
    I think my fan comes on at 205˚F, but it's programmable in the ECU. I don't know what ecu the K24Z7 comes with or if there's a way to change the parameters...

If you're moving and it stays around 18x˚ then I wouldn't worry. You can run a cooler thermostat or drill some small holes in the existing one. It should put more coolant through the radiator then.

One more thing I don't know is what the TMI Atom 3's have for a radiator. It could be bigger or smaller than the Saldana unit Brammo used.

Fermion
    Country
    United States
    i have a K20 and stay around 195-197 normal street driving

Lepton
    Country
    United States
    If you're worried you can go to a 160 thermostat and set the fans at 185 - that's my setup and I run a lot cooler than 200.

I'd go to an oil cooler (and accusump) before you think about a bigger radiator.

Cheers,
    Jason
    2011 Ariel Atom Not Supercharged
    2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged

Fermion
    Had a run up Mount Diablo yesterday, hit 185 until I got behind someone then it went to 200, but never over 200. If it can hold at 200 going uphill in the heat and thinner air it should be fine.

Electron
    Country
    United States
    I have a 2012 SRA with the K24Z7, TMI set-up the dash2 unit to alert me at 230 degrees and I regularly run over 200 at the track, especially on a hot day. I've only once hit 230 once and that was during my first ever track session in the SRA at Spring Mountain when it was 107 degrees! I tend to break before the car in that kind of heat.
    Like It's Stolen likes this.

Neutrino
    Country
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Buckingham View Post
    I have a 2012 SRA with the K24Z7, TMI set-up the dash2 unit to alert me at 230 degrees and I regularly run over 200 at the track, especially on a hot day. I've only once hit 230 once and that was during my first ever track session in the SRA at Spring Mountain when it was 107 degrees! I tend to break before the car in that kind of heat.
    that's odd, I also was at 107 outside on my last trackday, water temps never got over 195, they only hit 200 when i'm at a stop light.

wonder if you have air in your system preventing it from working properly

once mine hits 195 and the fan kicks on even sitting still the water temps drop immediately to 180-185

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast