Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Hello from Florida

  1. #1
    Lurker
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    2
    Country
    United States

    Hello from Florida

    I came across the Atom online as I was looking for options for a weekend fun car. All I can say is "wow." A new Atom is more than I was planning on spending...but after lurking for a couple of weeks I'm now contemplating what toys I have to sell and how many dozen(s) roses it will take to get the green light

    So a question concerning other drivers/safety for those who spend time on the road. I live in an area heavily populated with older retirees (many of whom drive huge cars) and unfortunately have lost 2 friends on bikes in recent years to other driver's error. I would not own a bike here for that reason....should I have the same concerns with the atom, and how's the viz of the atom for the other guy ?

    Thanks for all the great info on the forum and stay safe...

    cal

  2. #2
    Proton Terry Kennedy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    793
    Country
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by CalSRQ View Post
    So a question concerning other drivers/safety for those who spend time on the road. I live in an area heavily populated with older retirees (many of whom drive huge cars) and unfortunately have lost 2 friends on bikes in recent years to other driver's error. I would not own a bike here for that reason....should I have the same concerns with the atom, and how's the viz of the atom for the other guy ?
    I have over 33,000 road miles on mine - everything from backwoods roads to 5-lane Interstates. This was mostly day driving - perhaps 10% night driving. I've never had anyone not see the Atom and come close to causing an accident - in fact, the opposite is true - people see the Atom and then get into accidents on their own because they're too busy watching the Atom and not their own car.

    Obviously, this is just my experience, and I never made it to Florida. Given the way cars with Florida plates are operated up here in the Northeast, you probably have a valid concern. If they drive the same way down there as they do up here, you can probably speed up to 35MPH and avoid them.

  3. #3
    Lurker
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    2
    Country
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry Kennedy View Post
    I have over 33,000 road miles on mine - everything from backwoods roads to 5-lane Interstates. This was mostly day driving - perhaps 10% night driving. I've never had anyone not see the Atom and come close to causing an accident - in fact, the opposite is true - people see the Atom and then get into accidents on their own because they're too busy watching the Atom and not their own car.

    Obviously, this is just my experience, and I never made it to Florida. Given the way cars with Florida plates are operated up here in the Northeast, you probably have a valid concern. If they drive the same way down there as they do up here, you can probably speed up to 35MPH and avoid them.
    Hi Terry! You have no idea how much fun I've had reading your adventures from your trips...thanks for all the efforts you made posting on your blog and the forum- it's because of your trip that I've been daydreaming about picking up a new atom next spring and driving it back to Florida (my college age son is begging me to schedule this for his spring break Hmmm father-son trip of a lifetime....I'm beginning to see an angle here "Hun, our son can have the trip of a lifetime AND its a safe spring break activity". Genius.

  4. #4
    Proton Terry Kennedy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    793
    Country
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by CalSRQ View Post
    Hmmm father-son trip of a lifetime....I'm beginning to see an angle here "Hun, our son can have the trip of a lifetime AND its a safe spring break activity". Genius.
    The only issue is the limited space for luggage with 2 people in the car. You can get a soft bag or two on the passenger-side floor if the passenger doesn't mind keeping their legs on top of the luggage. Other things I've heard suggested or done are "saddle bags" outside the frame, or some sort of sling under the passenger side of the front deck.

  5. #5
    Lepton AtomJohnny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    284
    Country
    New Zealand
    Welcome Cal,

    On the other side of the coin I've been hit twice by large vehicles that did not see me. However both were when the other vehicle was maneuvering at close quarters and slow speed.

    What Terry say is right though. The Atom is not the kind of vehicle that is unseen at a distance like motorcycles are. Just be mindful if you're parked or driving very close to someone that is much higher from the road as you may be in a blind spot.

    As for a pair of you traveling the idea is to pack minimal. Mostly a few changes of clothes and buy whatever else you need along the way. Some of the UK owners trip annually across to Europe with their partners and manage without a support vehicle. My own experience is that for a trip of a few days a couple of sports bags in the passenger footwell (pictured) is sufficient.

    01100001 01110100 01101111 01101101 00110001

Similar Threads

  1. Where in Florida are other Atom owners?
    By Kim in forum Florida
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: July 15, 2019, 02:54 PM
  2. US / Florida Atom Owners (I Need Your Help)
    By rijowysock in forum General Ariel Atom Discussion (for all UK and US versions)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: December 3, 2012, 12:28 PM
  3. Registering Atom in Florida
    By rijowysock in forum General Ariel Atom Discussion (for all UK and US versions)
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: November 14, 2012, 06:06 PM
  4. RAM286 For Sale in Florida
    By Steve in forum US Atoms for Sale
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: June 19, 2011, 06:56 AM
  5. Florida Atom 3 Owner
    By Kim in forum Welcome New Members! You MUST post here first to activate your account!
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: April 25, 2011, 12:24 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •