Thread: Where do I find a steering wheel like this Momo Formula D / Cut

jid
    Blind Apex
    Country
    United States

Where do I find a steering wheel like this Momo Formula D / Cut

I'm 6 feet tall and can't see my blinkers or high beams with my stock wheel. I love this wheel: http://arielatomchat.com/forums/thread388.html (2nd one down). Anyone know if a pre-drilled version of this exists or if there is another similar wheel?

I need to add a better wheel and a shift light. Heck, i'd buy someone's wheel with shift light if they wanted to sell it. But the D would be better.

thanks y'all!

J

Neutron
    Country
    United States
    I doubt you would find a predrilled one

https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/pr...asp?RecID=6242
    the high profile toy thrower

jid
    Blind Apex
    Country
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bolus View Post
    I doubt you would find a predrilled one

https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/pr...asp?RecID=6242
    I was afraid of that but I will survive. I have a drill press. Is it hard to drill the steering wheel or will I screw it up? And can I just transfer the quick release stuff from the stock wheel?

Just ordered so i'll find out soon enough. But very much looking forward to it.

Thank you!!!
    Last edited by jid; March 30, 2013 at 06:27 PM.

Neutron
    Country
    United States
    Can be that hard. unscrew the old wheel. use a piece of paper on the steering mount to trace the holes and make a template. Center the template on the new wheel and drill some holes.
    the high profile toy thrower

Country
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by jid View Post
    I was afraid of that but I will survive. I have a drill press. Is it hard to drill the steering wheel or will I screw it up? And can I just transfer the quick release stuff from the stock wheel?
    Most of these wheels are built on an aluminum frame, so it is pretty soft. If you can start your holes from the back of the wheel, that will cover up any "walking" of the drill bit across the anodized aluminum. You can probably dimple the wheel enough with a centerpunch that the drill bit(s)s will start properly.

The Brammo cars (and probably UK and TMI Atoms as well) have a rather unusual (at least in the US) hole pattern. Pre-drilled wheels are usually either 5-hole or 6-hole (where you can't get 3 to line up with the quick disconnect). So your best bet is moving the quick disconnect to an un-drilled new wheel.

BTW, if you want to mount anything else in the wheel area, it's better to sandwich it between the quick disconnect and the wheel, as you can hide inappropriate hole patterns. Here's my MicroDash wheel modified for horn buttons (the 2 smaller buttons on the original wheel itself are the MicroDash control buttons):