Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ciro Racing Rear Wing/Mounts Group Buy!!!

Electron
    Country
    United States

Ciro Racing Rear Wing/Mounts Group Buy!!!

Ciro Racing Street/Track Atom Wing - Group Buy

Highly functional, reasonable price,easy to install, looks great on an Atom - who says you can't have it all
    Features:
    -High downforce, low drag, proven true motorsports profile wing element.
    -FRP wing element dimensions: 10" chord, 61" L.
    -High gloss finish.
    -T6 aircraft Aluminum struts, black powder coated to match the Atom's finish.
    -Strong, can easily support hundreds of lbs of DF, at high track speeds.
    -Clears most aftermarket mufflers.
    -Strut span width can be custom ordered, if needed to clear non-stock exhaustoutlets.
    -Easy to install with no modifications to the car.
    -Wing can be easily removed via 4 bolts.
    -Wide range of AoA (angle of attack) for the wing element.
    -Endplate design optimizes DF.

PossibleOptions:
    -Optional dual element CF version, for higher DF applications like autocross orhill climbs. $ TBD
    -5" Strut extensions for track use. Places wing in cleaner air above theroll bar. $ 195
    -Carbon Fiber wing element. Add $275
    -CF Gurney flap. Add $ 95
    - Smaller less obtrusive endplates,or a lower strut can be offered.

Plansare to have the struts and endplates powder-coated satin black if possible.

Wingwidth sized to maximize DF without overpowering the aesthetic of the Atom. Likewise the wing height is located 3"under the roll hoop for Street/trackuse.
    Commentshave been: "Really makes the car", "Looks like a race carnow", "Like it more than the factory wing", "Struts matchthe Atom chassis design", "Looks cool!"

Retailcost will be $1,895. Prices may vary depending on the final part finish cost.

Group Buy

Introductory Cost:
    - (3) orders, $1,675
    - (6) orders, $1,599

Group buy will end sometime in midApril, when the next order of FRP elements will arrive.

1. Payne
    2. Jeffery F.
    3. Atommatt ?

------ $1,675
    ------$1,599
    Last edited by Dbwy; March 27, 2013 at 04:53 PM.

Up Quark
    Country
    United States
    Here are some pics of the prototype mounting system. The proven motorsports wing element is fully adjustable and makes good downforce. Let me know if anyone would like more info.

Thanks,

Rick

Thanks Rick, would you post photos of how your wing mount attaches to the Atom chassis? There are a few designs out there and some work better than others, especially for track use with big l/r g loadings and vibration. Thanks!
    Rogers, Arkansas
    My Atoms are gone to new homes ...

Up Quark
    Country
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by RandyLamp View Post
    Thanks Rick, would you post photos of how your wing mount attaches to the Atom chassis? There are a few designs out there and some work better than others, especially for track use with big l/r g loadings and vibration. Thanks!
    Hi Randy,

The mounts are very strong, we use machined steel clamps that attach to the frame. The wing mounts to the upper bar in the same general location as the factory wing. The under-wing mounts are aluminum and are overbuilt to take into account side loading. We applied pressure on the endplate and determined that a center brace is not needed with our system. After evaluating the prototype, we are downsizing some of the hardware to reduce weight. What issues have you seen with other wing mounts?

Thanks for the input,

Rick

I sat on the wing (on bubble wrap to not scratch the finish) and it didn't budge at all, can easily take hundreds of pounds more.
    Last edited by Ciro Design Racing; March 27, 2013 at 07:02 PM.

Neutron
    Country
    United States
    The mount points to the frame on the original Brammo wing tended to walk side to side

the high profile toy thrower

Up Quark
    Country
    United States
    Thanks Bolus,

We are using self adhesive rubber strips inside the clamps to protect the frame. This should also prevent any movement.

Rick

Blog Entries
    Country
    United States
    I changed my mind. I got something else I want to try. Sorry Im out.

Quote Originally Posted by Ciro Design Racing View Post
    Thanks Bolus,

We are using self adhesive rubber strips inside the clamps to protect the frame. This should also prevent any movement.

Rick
    My track experience may be more severe than most, but we also went with the adhesive route, using a high strength automotive grade 3M tape. Under track conditions, especially in hot weather the adhesive would always fail. High ambient temps plus the large amount of heat coming from the engine and exhaust system was too much for a polymer cushioned "clamp on" wing mount. That is why we eventually decided to use the A-arm chassis bolts and pick up the center bolt on the upper frame (rear mount for the forward engine cover). All of the clamp on types we tried (Brammo and Ariel UK) suggested the same problem. I ended up having to re-powder coat the rear tubes of both of my Atoms due to the damage done by clamp on wing mounts.

In this photo you can see two bands of abrasion on the cross tube above the rain and backup lights. Abrasion also appears on the upper tubes with the clear coat and silver gone where it came into contact with the wing mounts. This was part way through the damage which ultimately ended up going all the way to the bare metal.

One thing I considered but did not try with the clamp on mounts was to drill the caps at their centers, match drill the frame and insert a spring pin. I believe this would have stopped the l/r movement, even if only applied to the lower mounts.

This photo illustrates the upper mount, added to increase horizontal stabilization. it utilizes the aft engine cover mounting point to oppose horisontal loads and vibration. We used this in addition to the suspension bolt mounting on my red framed Atom. This coule be applied to a clamp on mount and would effectively prevent the side-to-side movement that my Atoms experienced.

In all fairness, I tracked my first Atom frequently and hard with very grippy slicks and high l/r shock loads as the car went over curbs and bumps. If not for that, and I used he car only on the street, I likely would not have had this experience.
    Last edited by RandyLamp; March 28, 2013 at 12:50 PM. Reason: added photo
    Rogers, Arkansas
    My Atoms are gone to new homes ...

Country
    United States
    I had "wing walk" with the stock brammo unit,even with added sticky tape,but then made some .020" thick aluminum inserts (that actually look just like thin connecting rod bearings)and the wing never moved after that.
    Last edited by MadMaxAtom; March 28, 2013 at 12:37 PM.
    The power of an Atom is a terrible thing to waste! Atom owner/operator since 2007. The more you chase perfection,the faster it becomes. John Force for President! (I asked him once in person...he laughed)

Up Quark
    Country
    United States
    Interesting Bolus and Max. We are using the adhesive just to keep the rubber strips in place during assembly. The rubber is a silicone blend (used for frying pan spatulas), high durometer, with a 500F deg high-temp spec. We will take a laser reading to check temps. We could also add a threaded hole on the backside, to allow for a set screw.

We do use 3M VHB foam tapes for other applications, like trunk and hatch mounts to protect the paint. But you are right that the VHB tapes don't do well with shear forces, and we use a heat gun to remove it.

Thanks again for the valuable real world input.

Rick
    Last edited by Ciro Design Racing; March 29, 2013 at 01:39 AM.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast