Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Like It's Stolen
  • 1 Post By Terry Kennedy

Thread: Quite the attention grabber

Fermion

Quite the attention grabber

A still from my dashcam

8 at a time, has to be some sort of record
    Last edited by Like It's Stolen; March 23, 2013 at 10:25 PM.
    bolus likes this.

Country
    United States
    I see about 1,500 points...(Deathrace 2000)
    The power of an Atom is a terrible thing to waste! Atom owner/operator since 2007. The more you chase perfection,the faster it becomes. John Force for President! (I asked him once in person...he laughed)

Country
    United States
    it's amazing to me, that you can publish a picture, and I can tell you exactly where you were in San Francisco with a very basic google search. Technology continues to blow my mind

You missed a couple gawkers though.. right in front of the bus is a guy with a baseball hat on backwards, and right behind the bus is another one. Next time honk your horn, bet you get even more, LOL.

Electron
    Country
    United States
    Nah, he didn't miss any. The lookers without the camera phones out don't count.
    I had people chase me down and a cop followed me into a gas station to chat and ask questions. I am always afraid of these drivers with the camera phones not paying attention to the road, especially the ones trying to take a picture driving behind me.

Neutron
    Country
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthChicken View Post
    it's amazing to me, that you can publish a picture, and I can tell you exactly where you were in San Francisco with a very basic google search. Technology continues to blow my mind

You missed a couple gawkers though.. right in front of the bus is a guy with a baseball hat on backwards, and right behind the bus is another one. Next time honk your horn, bet you get even more, LOL.
    I did the same thing, found the hotel on street view triton hotel - Google Maps
    That would be fun to drive around down there.
    the high profile toy thrower

Quote Originally Posted by atom ant View Post
    ... a cop followed me into a gas station to chat and ask questions.
    I got pulled over one night by a cop who "cautioned me for not using my turn signal for a lane change". In the mean time eight cops poured out of three cruisers to gawk the car asking the typical questions --- What is it? How fast will it go? Did you build it? How much did it cost?, etc. Talk about a conversation piece, not much compares to an Atom.
    Rogers, Arkansas
    My Atoms are gone to new homes ...

Country
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Like It's Stolen View Post
    8 at a time, has to be some sort of record
    I didn't have a dashcam at the time, so I was limited to just taking a few pictures when stopped at red lights:

Empire State Building:

Herald Square:

If you look in my passenger mirror in that second shot, you can see a Gray Line double-decker tour bus. The guide was delivering the usual rapid-fire description of the sights the bus was passing, and she shut off her microphone and yelled over to me to ask what the car was. I told her, and then she got back on the microphone and said "And to your left is an Ariel Atom" and dozens of people took pictures.
    Like It's Stolen likes this.

Fermion
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthChicken View Post
    Wait until products like Google Glass become as common place as cell phones, all people would have to do is say "OK Glass, take a photo" and they have a snap of you... assuming they aren't already recording everything they do anyway.

I do google "ariel atom" and limit the search to 24 hours after a ride to see if anyone uploaded (and correctly named) a photo they took to a public site, nothing yet.

I did once find a photo of another Atom owner I knew taken at a gas station, he had no idea he had been snapped until I emailed him the shot and a link to the forum where car enthusiasts were discussing it.

Country
    New Zealand
    End of the day when the crowd and many of the show cars had gone home you can see where the remaining few are all gathered.

8hYCH2bn.jpg

While all that attention is fun it does have its down side. My partner for one does not like going in the car because of everyone starring at us.

The two worst experiences were:

1. A bloke on the motorway with one hand on the wheel and the other with his camera phone out the drivers window. Definitely not looking at the forward traffic (all traveling at 100kpm).

2. A young bloke that rushed into the middle of the road, to express his enthusiasm, then stumble drunkenly backwards into the path of a couple of boy racers that had just got a green light.

(edit: larger image - http://thumbsnap.com/f/8hYCH2bn )
    Last edited by AtomJohnny; April 3, 2013 at 09:26 PM.
    01100001 01110100 01101111 01101101 00110001