Thread: SERVICE BULLETIN for K20A powered Brammo AA2s: Throttle Cable Adjustment.

Country
    United States

SERVICE BULLETIN for K20A powered Brammo AA2s: Throttle Cable Adjustment.

Long story short, regarding Honda-Powered Brammo Atoms: Check your throttle cable travel/tension and your accelerator pedal travel stop. It has to be adjusted dead nuts to both get 100% thottle and not strain/break the cable over time.

Full story:

The other evening I was enjoying the first 3 gears of the old Honda-powered Brammo Atom 2 from a red light at wide open throttle. It was great, acceleration was brutal, power delivery smooth, and the wind and noise exhilerating! Right up until the throttle stuck open and made my life subsequently more exciting that I had bargained for.

As the engine was banging on against the limiter, gas pedal usesless, clutch in, I shut the ignition switch off, gently applied the brakes and put it back in gear. Once I slowed down a little I turned the ignition back on again whereupon the engine sprang back to life and once again accelerated without the aide of the pedal. I toggled the power on and off by using the dash-mounted ignition switch until I was able to get someplace convenient to pull over.

Once stopped, I operated the pedal to see if it would come unstuck. It did not. I groped around under the 'dash' feeling for the throttle lever/cable and pricked myself on the frayed throttle cable. "Not good," I thought to myself. Groping around again and working the lever some more, the cable just broke off outright. "Even worse," I thought.

Luckilly, I was about 10 minutes from a friend's place and I called them. They were home and were available to bring me a 1/8" allen wrench, some pliers, some diagonal cutters and 2 small adjustable wrenches. That was all I needed to pull the front end of the Atom apart to gain access to the pedal assembly.

I freed the throttle cable from the bracketry. Realized that there was little I could do about it in a strip mall parking lot with nightfall approaching. I worked the frayed cable back together, closing the throttle, afterwhich the cable could be pulled manually. I put the bonnet, nose cone and dash in my friend's truck and limped the Atom back to his garage and he drove me back to my place. The next day after work I fixed the Atom.

I'll update with pictures, thoughts and criticism on engineering of the pedal setup.

Country
    United States
    That can be some scary stuff! Same thing happened to me on a motorcycle many moons ago,about 200 miles from home. I managed to drive home by pulling the loose end of the busted cable with vise grips..looked pretty weird,but got me home. Macgyver to the rescue! Working under the dash by the pedal box does suck on an Atom..
    The power of an Atom is a terrible thing to waste! Atom owner/operator since 2007. The more you chase perfection,the faster it becomes. John Force for President! (I asked him once in person...he laughed)

Country
    United States
    Glad you are OK, and yes that can be scary stuff! I broke a throttle cable on a old Land Cruiser down in Portland and drove it back to Tacoma using my shoe lace. I eventually tied it to the back of the seat and just pressed my thigh against it for throttle

Neutron
    Country
    United States
    I had a 65 mustang when I was a kid that I thought was haunted. every once in a while when accelerating from a stop the gas pedal would drop to the floor and the car would leap forward full throttle. I would have to dig my foot under the pedal to get it to slow down.

Turns out the engine mounts were broken and the torque from the v8 was twisting the engine and pulling on the throttle cable. Yeah that was not fun in traffic....
    the high profile toy thrower

Ion
    Country
    United States
    Good reactions to a major problem McFred.
    You kept a level head and saved your bacon. Well done sir.
    I once had my throttle linkage unhinge on track at PIR, (Portland) entering turn one.
    Lets just say I ran out of pavement.

Country
    United States
    Thanks for the heads-up!
    300hp K20A | "It'll never go, my dears! Not if he's had anything to do with it."