Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: help asap please need info for rear hub assembly

Quote Originally Posted by McFred View Post
    I've got my original rears avaliable too. Can ship today/tomorrow if necessary.
    Hit me up with a price for these and the tires/wheels shipped to 77706. I guess it looks like I might need to have a spare set available. How many miles/track days to you have on these? Feel free to send me a PM or my email beckertb@bpsa-md.com

thanks
    ben

Country
    United States
    Sure, I'll see if some boxes I have will fit the wheels/tires and get you some pictures and a approximate shipping quote too.

Welllllllllllllllllll, I took it apart today. Good news, bearings are fine.

Bad news: Hub broke..........

Country
    United States
    Wow..first Atom hub I have seen broken. I use to bust my Focus hubs on the flange routinely and had Palatov Motorsports make me some special billet units. Have not had a problem since. Seeing as it is not a common issue,maybe just a fluke? I run some very wide/sticky tires and had lots of track miles with Max on the stock hubs,so I don't believe they are a weak link.(although I did install Palatov uprights with his hubs for the extra strength) Was the axle nut still torqued/tight when you removed it?
    Last edited by MadMaxAtom; January 19, 2013 at 11:36 AM.
    The power of an Atom is a terrible thing to waste! Atom owner/operator since 2007. The more you chase perfection,the faster it becomes. John Force for President! (I asked him once in person...he laughed)

Neutron
    Country
    United States
    Randy broke his hubs a while back

the high profile toy thrower

Country
    United States
    ^Yea..but Randys looks more like bearing failure first.Hard to tell just from pictures. If the hub flange breaks off the snout,and the bearings are fine,it usually means you are over-stressing/flexing the flanges strength.My Focus was a prime example of this happening.I went through about 6 hubs before approaching Dennis to build me some indestructible ones

Stock Focus hub on left,Palatov custom on right.Not only is the Palatov 4 times stronger..it is actually lighter!

CIMG3939.jpg
    Last edited by MadMaxAtom; January 19, 2013 at 01:17 PM.
    The power of an Atom is a terrible thing to waste! Atom owner/operator since 2007. The more you chase perfection,the faster it becomes. John Force for President! (I asked him once in person...he laughed)

Quote Originally Posted by MadMaxAtom View Post
    Wow..first Atom hub I have seen broken. I use to bust my Focus hubs on the flange routinely and had Palatov Motorsports make me some special billet units. Have not had a problem since. Seeing as it is not a common issue,maybe just a fluke? I run some very wide/sticky tires and had lots of track miles with Max on the stock hubs,so I don't believe they are a weak link.(although I did install Palatov uprights with his hubs for the extra strength) Was the axle nut still torqued/tight when you removed it?
    The nut was tight. We pressed the bearing out to change it but does not appear to be a bearing failure, rather a hub failure.........

Soooooooo, hopefully fluke???????

Now time to get new hubs..........

Country
    United States
    I have, here in Wichita Falls, a new Atom II hub in stock, and a new bearing, and some special hardened washers and spacers made by Rex Earp (yes he is related to Wyatt), who is a master machinist that scratch-built the connecting rods for my Top Fuel engines, among other things.
    Eddie FourFather Hill
    Top Fuel Champion on land and water
    www.eddiehillsfuncycles.com since 1966
    Honda, Kawasaki, Polaris, Yamaha

Country
    United States
    I snapped a picture for you--

Cheers-

Eddie
    bolus likes this.
    Eddie FourFather Hill
    Top Fuel Champion on land and water
    www.eddiehillsfuncycles.com since 1966
    Honda, Kawasaki, Polaris, Yamaha

Eddie, thank you for the offer; however I already had 2 sets of uprights with new hubs coming and have the spacers from TMI. Not sure if they are the same quality as yours.

When I removed the right rear, the axle nut was very tight (>200 ft#) The hub is the original hub to the car and is not the new style for certain (car is Brammo 20). When manually turning the right rear hub, it feels like the bearing has bits of gravel in it so its clearly shot. So I installed the tmi hardened axle spaers and uprights/new hubs/new bearing/seals that I got from Randy. Will keep a close eye out on the axle nuts. Still just running the Toyo R888 tires so shouldn't be too stressful to the components. Hope this is just a fluke/fairly early car design flaw.

Thank you for all of your help. Going to take the car to Circuit of the Amiercas this weekend.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast