Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18

Thread: Should we call it the US Atom 3.25?

  1. #1
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    172
    Country
    United States

    Should we call it the US Atom 3.25?

    Saw this today from T.M.I.:


    "TMI AutoTech, Inc. is pleased to announce the release of the 2013 Ariel Atom 3 incorporating numerous exciting changes and updates to the North American market for the already well developed and proven Atom 3 supercar.


    The 2013 Ariel Atom 3 will provide newly offered standard features that will augment both function and performance. In addition to new standard features TMI AutoTech, Inc. is excited to release new options that will continue enabling our customers to uniquely individualize building the vehicle of their dreams.


    A high function digital dash that has been well proven within the popular Spec:RaceAtom race & track-day car has been adopted for full use within the Atom 3. The Atom 3 driving experience will be enhanced by a new built-in dead pedal and an anatomic steering wheel. Multiple gear shift knobs are also being released to provide improved cockpit ergonomics and individuality.


    Looking from the outside - the 2013 Ariel Atom 3 will offer new standard color choices for both the chassis and body panels while also providing a subtle bonnet design change that will visually set it apart from previous Ariel Atom 3s.


    Function and aesthetics are not the only changes for 2013. Performance is always a priority when referring to any Ariel Atom 3 and we haven't overlooked that important aspect of the new car. The Honda 2.4L engine will once again be offered providing smooth, reliable power with outstanding torque output in standard naturally aspirated form. A soon to be released supercharger option for this engine is now being developed and tested by TMI AutoTech that will be offered to Ariel Atom 3 buyers seeking maximum performance. In addition to a significant horsepower increase, the 2.4L supercharger option also provides the highest torque rating to date for any Ariel Atom 3; 20 ft/lbs more than the previously used 2.0L supercharged engine option.


    The 2013 Ariel Atom 3 chassis will incorporate additional chassis bracing and stiffness to enhance the car's platform as well as the function and effectiveness of its push rod suspension system. Rounding out the performance changes are the use of 4-piston brake calipers on all corners of the vehicle as standard equipment. Bespoke lightweight magnesium wheels are once again an available option - a great compliment to the above chassis and braking upgrades.


    The 2013 Ariel Atom 3 is the next evolution of the already iconic Ariel Atom supercar. "Building on our experience over the past 5 years as a manufacturer of this exciting vehicle has allowed us to listen to clients, while at the same time put ideas to the test immediately on our backyard test track- Virginia International Raceway" explains Mark Swain - V.P. TMI AutoTech, Inc. "The 2013 Ariel Atom 3 is a product that comes from evolution.....from our clients, as well as a company built by driving enthusiasts"


    TMI AutoTech, Inc. is pleased to offer this North American edition to buyers starting January, 2013."






    looks like a bunch of text but the cliffs notes:


    --Digital Dash from the SRA now on AA3
    --Dead Pedal from Factory
    --Shift Knob Variants versus fixed
    --New Steering Wheel
    (I have this wheel already and it's great!)
    --2.4L engine
    ((K24z7) same as before available but now the SC tune is available. )
    --Couple new colors available for chassis/panels
    --Coffin Bonnet
    (different shape at tea tray)
    --4pot Wilwood standard
    --New Magnesium Wheels Offered as option
    --Chassis Rigidity Increased
    (i assume a few bars from SRA integrated)

    not bad overall for only a $4,000.00 increase in price.... i'm excited to see the new wheels!




    overall nothing too insane, i'm glad they did NOT adopt the new 3.5 headlights/taillights but would kind of like the turn signals in the front fenders. ... the subtle changes are good for the model but since they are subtle it's like the "porsche 911" approach.. just change the car slightly and the previous cars always have a strong demand as well (american car companies have not discovered this yet).






    -Riley
    Last edited by rijowysock; January 5, 2013 at 04:49 PM.

  2. #2
    Lepton McFred's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    SW, USA
    Posts
    365
    Country
    United States
    I'd like to see the wheels too. I assume they're going to continue to use the 3.75" PCD?

  3. #3
    Particle
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    35
    Country
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by rijowysock View Post
    Saw this today from T.M.I.:


    "TMI AutoTech, Inc. is pleased to announce the release of the 2013 Ariel Atom 3 incorporating numerous exciting changes and updates to the North American market for the already well developed and proven Atom 3 supercar.


    The 2013 Ariel Atom 3 will provide newly offered standard features that will augment both function and performance. In addition to new standard features TMI AutoTech, Inc. is excited to release new options that will continue enabling our customers to uniquely individualize building the vehicle of their dreams.


    A high function digital dash that has been well proven within the popular Spec:RaceAtom race & track-day car has been adopted for full use within the Atom 3. The Atom 3 driving experience will be enhanced by a new built-in dead pedal and an anatomic steering wheel. Multiple gear shift knobs are also being released to provide improved cockpit ergonomics and individuality.


    Looking from the outside - the 2013 Ariel Atom 3 will offer new standard color choices for both the chassis and body panels while also providing a subtle bonnet design change that will visually set it apart from previous Ariel Atom 3s.


    Function and aesthetics are not the only changes for 2013. Performance is always a priority when referring to any Ariel Atom 3 and we haven't overlooked that important aspect of the new car. The Honda 2.4L engine will once again be offered providing smooth, reliable power with outstanding torque output in standard naturally aspirated form. A soon to be released supercharger option for this engine is now being developed and tested by TMI AutoTech that will be offered to Ariel Atom 3 buyers seeking maximum performance. In addition to a significant horsepower increase, the 2.4L supercharger option also provides the highest torque rating to date for any Ariel Atom 3; 20 ft/lbs more than the previously used 2.0L supercharged engine option.


    The 2013 Ariel Atom 3 chassis will incorporate additional chassis bracing and stiffness to enhance the car's platform as well as the function and effectiveness of its push rod suspension system. Rounding out the performance changes are the use of 4-piston brake calipers on all corners of the vehicle as standard equipment. Bespoke lightweight magnesium wheels are once again an available option - a great compliment to the above chassis and braking upgrades.


    The 2013 Ariel Atom 3 is the next evolution of the already iconic Ariel Atom supercar. "Building on our experience over the past 5 years as a manufacturer of this exciting vehicle has allowed us to listen to clients, while at the same time put ideas to the test immediately on our backyard test track- Virginia International Raceway" explains Mark Swain - V.P. TMI AutoTech, Inc. "The 2013 Ariel Atom 3 is a product that comes from evolution.....from our clients, as well as a company built by driving enthusiasts"


    TMI AutoTech, Inc. is pleased to offer this North American edition to buyers starting January, 2013."






    looks like a bunch of text but the cliffs notes:


    --Digital Dash from the SRA now on AA3
    --Dead Pedal from Factory
    --Shift Knob Variants versus fixed
    --New Steering Wheel
    (I have this wheel already and it's great!)
    --2.4L engine
    ((K24z7) same as before available but now the SC tune is available. )
    --Couple new colors available for chassis/panels
    --Coffin Bonnet
    (different shape at tea tray)
    --4pot Wilwood standard
    --New Magnesium Wheels Offered as option
    --Chassis Rigidity Increased
    (i assume a few bars from SRA integrated)

    not bad overall for only a $4,000.00 increase in price.... i'm excited to see the new wheels!




    overall nothing too insane, i'm glad they did NOT adopt the new 3.5 headlights/taillights but would kind of like the turn signals in the front fenders. ... the subtle changes are good for the model but since they are subtle it's like the "porsche 911" approach.. just change the car slightly and the previous cars always have a strong demand as well (american car companies have not discovered this yet).






    -Riley
    Thank you for posting this!

    Does anyone have any ideas on if the 2.4 is much faster than the 2.0? Is it still sub 3 second 0-60 without the supercharger?

  4. #4
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    172
    Country
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by McFred View Post
    I'd like to see the wheels too. I assume they're going to continue to use the 3.75" PCD?
    for $4,250 it's probably some dymags i would assume, also isn't the lug pattern 4x100 for american vehicles? i can go measure but im almost certain it's 4x100 because 3.75 would be near impossible to source any parts at all for.

    Quote Originally Posted by shortbusspecv View Post
    Thank you for posting this!

    Does anyone have any ideas on if the 2.4 is much faster than the 2.0? Is it still sub 3 second 0-60 without the supercharger?
    it's sub 3 seconds without supercharger, you will notice that additional power only goes so far (500hp version is only slightly faster to 60 than 230hp or 300hp version.. why? traction/gearing/etc.. the vehicles achieve their quickest 0-60 from 2nd gear launch.. so it's not about having too little power but putting it to the ground..
    i think the numbers are 2.9 on the 2.4L, 2.7 for 300hp 2.0L, 2.4 for the 500hp V8,.. i would assume a 300hp 2.4L would be around 2.6 or so.. that extra torque really helps once you're going.


    the 2.4 is like 2.9seconds to 60.. i would assume the 2.4 is faster than 2.0, especially at higher speeds because they are the same weight and the 2.4 has more torque all over and a more flat HP curve... my 2.4 hits max power very quickly and the power band is steady to redline.. instead of waiting for the 2nd cam to kick in and have that kick up top.

    i wouldn't say "much" faster because.. the v8 isn't even "much" faster to 60... above 60 yes the v8 kicks ass and i would say the 2.4 is quicker. i pass on the highway with great power and usually dont even take it out of 6th, the tq is amazing.


    regardless what you buy its 1350lbs, so even a 150hp motor would seem quick.. my 2.4L i have only started in 1st gear one time... and usually skip shift thru the gears because it's so quick you can eliminate half the rowing... the flat power curve means skip shifting doesn't kick you out of the sweet spot the smaller engines create w/ vtec (gears are close so shift at redline keeps you in vtec for the next gear). the 2.4 doesn't have vtec on intake and exhaust so you dont feel it kick anymore and it's not really needed..
    Last edited by rijowysock; January 5, 2013 at 08:27 PM.

  5. #5
    Electron
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    153
    Country
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by rijowysock View Post
    for $4,250 it's probably some dymags i would assume, also isn't the lug pattern 4x100 for american vehicles? i can go measure but im almost certain it's 4x100 because 3.75 would be near impossible to source any parts at all for.



    it's sub 3 seconds without supercharger, you will notice that additional power only goes so far (500hp version is only slightly faster to 60 than 230hp or 300hp version.. why? traction/gearing/etc.. the vehicles achieve their quickest 0-60 from 2nd gear launch.. so it's not about having too little power but putting it to the ground..
    i think the numbers are 2.9 on the 2.4L, 2.7 for 300hp 2.0L, 2.4 for the 500hp V8,.. i would assume a 300hp 2.4L would be around 2.6 or so.. that extra torque really helps once you're going.


    the 2.4 is like 2.9seconds to 60.. i would assume the 2.4 is faster than 2.0, especially at higher speeds because they are the same weight and the 2.4 has more torque all over and a more flat HP curve... my 2.4 hits max power very quickly and the power band is steady to redline.. instead of waiting for the 2nd cam to kick in and have that kick up top.

    i wouldn't say "much" faster because.. the v8 isn't even "much" faster to 60... above 60 yes the v8 kicks ass and i would say the 2.4 is quicker. i pass on the highway with great power and usually dont even take it out of 6th, the tq is amazing.


    regardless what you buy its 1350lbs, so even a 150hp motor would seem quick.. my 2.4L i have only started in 1st gear one time... and usually skip shift thru the gears because it's so quick you can eliminate half the rowing... the flat power curve means skip shifting doesn't kick you out of the sweet spot the smaller engines create w/ vtec (gears are close so shift at redline keeps you in vtec for the next gear). the 2.4 doesn't have vtec on intake and exhaust so you dont feel it kick anymore and it's not really needed..

    Riley, thanks for the info. I really never knew these numbers and I assumed sub 3 seconds to 60 was for the sc atoms. Cool to know my car can achieve that as well.

    I have a few questions though. When I hit 5000 rpm's I feel what seems to be vtec crossover. You say you can't feel the kick, and I thought I wouldn't be able to, but I definitely feel a change in engine characteristics (from past experiences, it feels like crossover). Do you know what I'm talking about? Is our tune set to hit the vtec at 5k, or is that just the engine characteristic?

  6. #6
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    172
    Country
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Dbwy View Post
    Riley, thanks for the info. I really never knew these numbers and I assumed sub 3 seconds to 60 was for the sc atoms. Cool to know my car can achieve that as well.

    I have a few questions though. When I hit 5000 rpm's I feel what seems to be vtec crossover. You say you can't feel the kick, and I thought I wouldn't be able to, but I definitely feel a change in engine characteristics (from past experiences, it feels like crossover). Do you know what I'm talking about? Is our tune set to hit the vtec at 5k, or is that just the engine characteristic?
    of course the sub 3, is a high rev launch in 2nd gear and quick shift to 3/4...

    we DO have vtec on the intake side... you can feel it slightly.. but if you have ever driven an s2000 w/ F20 or the K20a... you'll actually feel a "kick" same with a lotus 2zz with the VVTi kick.

    i'll get on my car tomorrow and report back... but the K24z7 only has intake vtec... not really a flaw.. just a design change..

    it's only a flaw if you're a civic ricer and just bought a new TSX and all you care about is racing mini vans and bragging about your Vtec!.. our cars are so light, it doesn't really change much... "faster" really isn't needed.. this isn't a 0-60 in 16 seconds civic.

  7. #7
    Neutrino MadMaxAtom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Usually in my shop..
    Posts
    1,583
    Country
    United States
    The wheels can't be Dymags;they are out of business. Maybe they are sourced from Sector 111? The BP for Brammo Atoms was 4x100...I think this was unique and may have returned to the UK standard BP when TMI started building them in '09. Honda is using the "new" 2.4 in the 2012-up Civic SI's and owners seem to be very happy with it. 11-1 compression and 170ft.lbs of torque from a NA 4 cyl is impressive. However,an Atom is so much more than what powers it.
    The power of an Atom is a terrible thing to waste! Atom owner/operator since 2007. The more you chase perfection,the faster it becomes. John Force for President! (I asked him once in person...he laughed)

  8. #8
    Electron
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    243
    Country
    United States
    Hmmmm I wonder if any of the items mentioned would end up on my car? Can't wait to see it on Friday!!

  9. #9
    Lepton Atommatt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    438
    Blog Entries
    1
    Country
    United States
    My BP is 3.75 or 95.25mm . I'm just going to have special wheels made and be done with it.

  10. #10
    Electron
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    153
    Country
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by rijowysock View Post
    of course the sub 3, is a high rev launch in 2nd gear and quick shift to 3/4...

    we DO have vtec on the intake side... you can feel it slightly.. but if you have ever driven an s2000 w/ F20 or the K20a... you'll actually feel a "kick" same with a lotus 2zz with the VVTi kick.

    i'll get on my car tomorrow and report back... but the K24z7 only has intake vtec... not really a flaw.. just a design change..

    it's only a flaw if you're a civic ricer and just bought a new TSX and all you care about is racing mini vans and bragging about your Vtec!.. our cars are so light, it doesn't really change much... "faster" really isn't needed.. this isn't a 0-60 in 16 seconds civic.


    Gotcha...yeah I've actually had a few s2000's, including a CR. Other than the Atom, it was my favorite car and the most fun to drive. Vtec was really fun in that car...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •