Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which Atom is the best Atom?

Particle
    Country
    United States

Question Which Atom is the best Atom?

Hey All,

New to the forum here, but I can't seem to find anyone who's given feedback on what Atom is the best Atom (meaning, the engine type and so forth).

I'm looking at buying one in the next year, but I'm the "researching type". Does anyone have any good opinions, or even better, full out comparisons/EDUs on the differences?

I understand the new engine in the Atom 3's have more HP & Torque than prior Atoms... but, there are some folks selling used Atoms for close to $70-$80k. I'm wondering why that is.

Let me know if you have any good feedback. I really appreciate it in advance!

Country
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by shortbusspecv View Post
    New to the forum here, but I can't seem to find anyone who's given feedback on what Atom is the best Atom (meaning, the engine type and so forth).
    Personal preference, mostly. Some options were only available on older cars (Recaro / Sparco seats, Microdash, GM engine) while some are only available on newer cars. If none of those is a deal-breaker for you, look for one with the price and options you do care about. That might be used or new.

I understand the new engine in the Atom 3's have more HP & Torque than prior Atoms... but, there are some folks selling used Atoms for close to $70-$80k. I'm wondering why that is.
    The Atom (regardless of what age or engine) is nearly infinitely tunable. There are both Honda and GM Atom 2's making well over 500HP.

The older 2's tend to fall into a number of different groupings:

1) Cars with extensive history and/or proven modifications and prices to match
    2) Cars that were bought and never used (2006 with 250 miles, sold 5 times)
    3) Cars with "motivated" (i.e., broke) sellers, going for low price
    4) Cars with unusual mods or configurations ("beauty is in the eye of the beholder") - I believe the former Van Halen car has a completely custom suspension. Does it work? Who knows.

In the first category, you have things like Randy's "AtomFest Special", and also (I'd like to thing) my Atom Across America car (listing from last year, not really pushing to sell).

Country
    United States
    Don't over-think an Atom purchase..they all basically give you the same euphoric ride... Find one with you like and enjoy!

Speaking of the "Van Halen" car...the new owner lives up my neck of the woods. He is a seriously fast A/X guy (many FTDs) and is looking to do some track time. We have been talking...
    Last edited by MadMaxAtom; December 22, 2012 at 08:30 PM.
    The power of an Atom is a terrible thing to waste! Atom owner/operator since 2007. The more you chase perfection,the faster it becomes. John Force for President! (I asked him once in person...he laughed)

Neutron
    Country
    United States
    mine is the best
    the high profile toy thrower

Country
    United States
    ^That's what every Corvette owner says..
    The power of an Atom is a terrible thing to waste! Atom owner/operator since 2007. The more you chase perfection,the faster it becomes. John Force for President! (I asked him once in person...he laughed)

Country
    United States
    Probably the best single car made was goldfinger, the best car post production is Bolus'. Mine was the most fun.

They are all a little different to suit the owner's preferences and intended purpose. There are no bad ones, except the ones that have attempted to occupy the same space at the same time with immovable objects.

Find one that speaks to you and that shall be the one. There is nothing practical about these cars so logic, reason, consumer reports, and rationale of one's pleading spouse do not apply.
    AtomII #73 for sale, PM for details.

Turning money into smoke and noise since 2006.
    Member "I drove the Brammo mule with Tom S." club.

Country
    United States
    "Probably the best single car made was Goldfinger"

It didn't even take me 24hrs to kick myself for selling that incredible car,but the new owner is using the car as intended,and that makes my decision to sell almost bearable...but still,there is a sad emptiness every time I walk past where Goldfinger resided for years.

It's stunning beauty will always be my high benchmark when looking at any car.

Banned
    Country
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by shortbusspecv View Post
    Hey All,

I'm looking at buying one in the next year, but I'm the "researching type". Does anyone have any good opinions, or even better, full out comparisons/EDUs on the differences?

Let me know if you have any good feedback. I really appreciate it in advance!

thats like comparing butts or boobs, everyone likes different things.

people ask 70-80k because of either their option choices, or the difficulty to get them registered.... let's say you option out a 65k atom.. you must give 30% cash down, 60% after a month, and then 2 months later the remaining 10%... thats a lot of cash out of pocket for a while... also that 65k atom is a big paperweight until you spend about 200 hours of your personal time to get it registered, if even possible in your state...

well, a paperweight or a track car you put on a trailer.

after all that, getting insurance is near impossible.. only 1-2 companies will properly insure the car... and coverage is hard to get even then.

people asking 70-80, already have it registered... or have a high option car.

remember, 52k starting on an AA3 is like 82k starting on a new 911... you'll almost never see a new 911 under a 100k sticker.. and never see a new AA3 under a 60-65k sticker...

add on personal time, hassle... jumping thru hoops.. and you have your asking price... i personally have about 3 months of work into mine getting registered and then was told by DOT that the car can never even be registered as kit car because of some rules... i finally after much leg work found a way around that.. but if i ever sold... that time, effort, stress.. i will ask 10k over what i paid without even hesitating because having been out 65-70k for 4 months and then getting a certified letter from DOT saying they will never register your car in your state is a really bad feeling.

Country
    United States
    OP, I'll sell you my Atom, it's the best! It's the one I get to drive anytime and anywhere I like, which makes it better than any of the other ones out there.

Some may have spent 200+ hours and stood outside in the crap weather on New Year's day to get theirs registered, or paid lawyers to exploit a loophole. Luckily, my Atom's registration was far easier to achieve than others'. My "kingdom" is a little more practical than some. All that 'hassle' is just part of ownership IMHO. Any schmuck can go get a Porsche or Ferrari or Lambo and get it registered anywhere in the US. Just whip out that wallet and bend over. However, some people have had to work to get their Atom registered. I think it contributes to the pride in ownership and exclusivity. Some people believe that that time spent on their cars is worth something when it comes time to sell.

Country
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Positron View Post
    Probably the best single car made was goldfinger, the best car post production is Bolus'. Mine was the most fun.

They are all a little different to suit the owner's preferences and intended purpose. There are no bad ones, except the ones that have attempted to occupy the same space at the same time with immovable objects.

Find one that speaks to you and that shall be the one. There is nothing practical about these cars so logic, reason, consumer reports, and rationale of one's pleading spouse do not apply.

Great Post on so many levels and spoken like a true Atom Afficionado! I've bolded & underlined the heavy hitting blows that hit right home with me when seeking and acquiring mine.--- Which as you all know happen to be Goldfinger.

Although Positron... like the "unholy trinity" from another thread--- watches, guns, and cars--- could more than one atom speak to us ???

best,
    RP

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast