Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 1000 miles in brand new atom (in less than a week)

Neutron
    Country
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Scuderia VA View Post
    Yeah. My mistake was.. the first Saturday I had it, my son and I bundled up for a 630a rendezvous with Curt and Mark for Cars and Coffee in Great Falls, VA .

28-32 degree and the wind chill from driving on the highways. Man.. I think I just need to put my jacket on thinking about it .

I said I'd just wait until the weather is warmer until I bring it out again. It will be mid 50s tomorrow so I'll take her out and add some (s)miles.
    That's about what the temp was when Darth and I drove over the southern oregon pass on our way from Portland to Oklahoma. Ice on the side of the road. Despite the motorcycle suit, gloves, multilayers, balaclava and helmet it was sooo cold. I kept saying "huh. so this is how I die..." to myself for like 2 hours of driving. Then it was like 40F in Arizona in the desert which was crazy weird too.
    the high profile toy thrower

Country
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bolus View Post
    That's about what the temp was when Darth and I drove over the southern oregon pass on our way from Portland to Oklahoma. Ice on the side of the road. Despite the motorcycle suit, gloves, multilayers, balaclava and helmet it was sooo cold. I kept saying "huh. so this is how I die..." to myself for like 2 hours of driving. Then it was like 40F in Arizona in the desert which was crazy weird too.
    LoL. All I could hear over the chatter box was my son saying.... "Dad, I think I'm a little cold..."

Banned
    Country
    United States

Yeah. My mistake was.. the first Saturday I had it, my son and I bundled up for a 630a rendezvous with Curt and Mark for Cars and Coffee in Great Falls, VA .

28-32 degree and the wind chill from driving on the highways. Man.. I think I just need to put my jacket on thinking about it .

I said I'd just wait until the weather is warmer until I bring it out again. It will be mid 50s tomorrow so I'll take her out and add some (s)miles.
    you guys gotta grow some!. haahah.. i learned if you keep the wind out it's not bad at all.. also i had a full union suit under my clothes.. really helped...

this was 12 hours straight driving and warmest temp was around 40... not ideal but still alive.

Neutron
    Country
    United States
    well, Darth drove in a tornado with a couple inches of standing water on the highway on that trip so he's got you beat.

Banned
    Country
    United States
    well, Darth drove in a tornado with a couple inches of standing water on the highway on that trip so he's got you beat.
    no tornado's for me.. and standing water was not fun.. it's like hitting ice and the lack of abs does nothing to help.

Country
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by rijowysock View Post
    you guys gotta grow some!. haahah.. i learned if you keep the wind out it's not bad at all.. also i had a full union suit under my clothes.. really helped...

this was 12 hours straight driving and warmest temp was around 40... not ideal but still alive.

Dang.. 12 hours straight in the cold post delivery of your new Atom!? I'm sure it was a blast but... I would have rolled that Atom in my trailer (heated) and driven in the tow vehicle (heated) all warm and toasty. Heck, I would have also popped in a James Bond Movie... "GoldFinger" ofcourse..

Banned
    Country
    United States
    Dang.. 12 hours straight in the cold post delivery of your new Atom!? I'm sure it was a blast but... I would have rolled that Atom in my trailer (heated) and driven in the tow vehicle (heated) all warm and toasty. Heck, I would have also popped in a James Bond Movie... "GoldFinger" ofcourse..

could have had it shipped, but was just keeping it interesting..

Country
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by rijowysock View Post

Gotta grow some... LOL.. dude I did 2700 miles in 3 days on that trip... after doing 2700+ miles with Bolus on the way there the week before over a 4 day period (basically killing bolus in the process, ROFL.. sorry Bolus). Drove through a tornado and rain storm on A048 tires, through ice, and while in CA, along side a brush fire at night that went on for miles (that was just spooky). 5500 miles in less than 2 weeks, camping the entire time.

But you're right.. keeping the wind out is the key. I had my visor taped around the edges when I left New Mexico headed west, it was in the 20s, and so cold that I pulled over to put methanol in my water injection setup to keep the pump from freezing.

Electron
    Country
    United States
    You are all insane! I love the car and can't wait to get it but driving against mother nature? I have a bike so been there done that!
    Given the number of miles you guys are putting on there, that basically invalidate your insurance 10 months out of the year?

Neutron
    Country
    United States
    I switched to Progressive for the trip and then cancelled it and went back to Rally when I got back. Actually never cancelled Rally so I had 2 at the same time. not sure how much problems it would have caused but never had to use it. Rally has never asked for my mileage though. Im not sure how they check anyway.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast