Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where to measure ride height on a SRA?

Up Quark
    Country
    United States

Where to measure ride height on a SRA?

photo (1).jpgI just bought Aaron Elsner's SRA a couple of weeks ago and it came with a really aggresive set-up and I think it sits too low for some of the runout areas at MSR Cresson (Mark at TMI actually described it as potintially unsafe for an inexperienced Atom driver, which would be me). I want to raise it some before I take it out the first time. Can anyone tell me where exactly to measure the front/rear ride height? I tried searching and really couldn't find anything...

BTW, if there are any Atom owners interested in coming out to MSR, I'm a member and would be happy to have you out as a guest driver. I've been very active in to Lotus community (also own an '06 Exige) and look forward to meeting the local Atom owners!

Country
    United States
    The correct way to raise/lower/alter the Atoms ride height is to put it on a set of scales and adjust it by the weight on each tire at your desired ride height. It makes a HUGE difference in how the Atom feels to have the car properly corner balanced. HUGE. If you do not want to do it properly,you can always crank the pushrods an equal amount (one turn,two turns etc)at every corner till it comes up to what you consider appropriate.
    The power of an Atom is a terrible thing to waste! Atom owner/operator since 2007. The more you chase perfection,the faster it becomes. John Force for President! (I asked him once in person...he laughed)

Up Quark
    Country
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MadMaxAtom View Post
    The correct way to raise/lower/alter the Atoms ride height is to put it on a set of scales and adjust it by the weight on each tire at your desired ride height. It makes a HUGE difference in how the Atom feels to have the car properly corner balanced. HUGE. If you do not want to do it properly,you can always crank the pushrods an equal amount (one turn,two turns etc)at every corner till it comes up to what you consider appropriate.

Thanks MadMax. It is going on scales today, but Aaron had used the shocks to lower it further by cranking the perches way down, so I need to get it back to a baseline ride height before I try to corner balance it. The SRA was originally delivered at 110mm front/105mm rear, but I don't know where they measured that. I want to get closer to that then corner balance it.

Country
    United States
    I measure ride height at the main frame tube just behind the control arms,front and rear.Jacking on the spring perches will alter your ride height,but I prefer to do it with the pushrods as it does not affect the bellcrank geometry. I am using the Palatov bellcranks,which use a different motion ratio than the stockers,so it is much more critical to the balance of the car if the geometry is off. Setting your car up on scales is paramount if you want 100% track capability from your Atom,or any track car for that matter. I use to think corner balancing was trivial till I found out firsthand how much speed you leave on the table by using nothing more than a tape measure to set up your car.
    The power of an Atom is a terrible thing to waste! Atom owner/operator since 2007. The more you chase perfection,the faster it becomes. John Force for President! (I asked him once in person...he laughed)

Up Quark
    Country
    United States
    I spent most of the morning tinkering with the set-up and about an hour and a half on the track this afternoon. This thing is an absolute hoot to drive!!! I only spun it once on a horribly miss-timed downshift (going into Little Bend for those familiar with MSR). I was running consistent laps in the low 2:30s on the 3.1 mile track. That is a few seconds slower than my Exige, but I'm nowhere close to the edge in the Atom and I will need to dial out some understerr as I get up to speed. Lots and lots of time for me out there once I get the feel for the car.

I ended up with some brake fluid leaking from one of the Willwood reservoirs. Seems like a common issue...

Country
    United States
    If you put it on scales you can dial more weight to the front end. I've found this extremely beneficial to curing the tail happy nature of the Atom. The Wilwood remote reservoirs are junk;you just can't clamp plastic to plastic hard enough to stop leaks,especially during track duty.Eventually, they leak. Tilton makes a 3 chamber master that is easy to mount and doesn't leak.(Ever)

I was dicing with an Exige cup car at Watkins Glen this year.We were running 2:10-2:14 laps (full course,4.5 miles) He had better aero and a little better top speed,but I had the corners...except turn 6. It was a lot of fun. The Elise/Exige is one of the very few cars I have driven that handle similar to the Atom. I don't fit in them very well at 6'2"...and stocky...

A completed pass on the inside of turn 2..

IMG_9546.jpg
    Last edited by MadMaxAtom; November 10, 2012 at 11:05 AM.

Up Quark
    Country
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MadMaxAtom View Post
    If you put it on scales you can dial more weight to the front end. I've found this extremely beneficial to curing the tail happy nature of the Atom. The Wilwood remote reservoirs are junk;you just can't clamp plastic to plastic hard enough to stop leaks,especially during track duty.Eventually, they leak. Tilton makes a 3 chamber master that is easy to mount and doesn't leak.(Ever)

I was dicing with an Exige cup car at Watkins Glen this year.We were running 2:10-2:14 second laps (full course,4.5 miles) He had better aero and a little better top speed,but I had the corners...except turn 6. It was a lot of fun. The Elise/Exige is one of the very few cars I have driven that handle similar to the Atom. I don't fit in them very well at 6'2"...and stocky...

A completed pass on the inside of turn 2..

IMG_9546.jpg
    That's a great picture. Looks like you've got a lot more tire than the SRA. I love the Exige, but the Atom is a more exciting drive on track for sure. btw I'm 6'2", 215ish. I only fit In the Exige because I want to so bad. I ordered the Tilton res. from summit. Thanks for the info!

Country
    United States
    Tires are the defining element in how much performance you can get out of any car. I have tried many many many sizes and compounds of tires on my Atom(s) over the years and have settled on the FA Hoosiers. I like the FA Hoosiers as the weather in New England is usually on the cool side,and the FA tires heat up very well,even with track temps in the "high" 20's (fahrenheit) I have my Atom(s) set up to get the most out of the FA tires,with Palatov bellcranks and pushrods,revalved shocks,heavier springs,aggressive alignment. I get an honest 100% traction at 6 full track days out of the rears (flipping them every event) and 10 full days out of the fronts (which then see duty on the rear of my Focus from Hell) I can buy an almost new (scrubs) set of FA tires for $300,including shipping,so it is a no-brainer for me. The rims are Keizers..very light..kinda expensive at $450/wheel..but as long as you don't hit anything,they have proven to be perfect.
    I would think an SRA on A6's would be quite the track weapon. Some day,I hope to get down to VIR and run with some of the SRA Atoms,just for kicks. It looks like a fun series!

Country
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by 5qf3764b View Post
    BTW, if there are any Atom owners interested in coming out to MSR, I'm a member and would be happy to have you out as a guest driver. I've been very active in to Lotus community (also own an '06 Exige) and look forward to meeting the local Atom owners!
    We were planning to go to the Eagle Canyon charity event on Dec 8th with the AA2 and Cresson's just the other side of Ft Worth with a Driver's Edge gig on the Sunday the 9th. I'd love the chance to hit both tracks while I'm in the area. I just haven't researched what all's required to attend the MSR event.

Link to December 8th event.
    http://arielatomchat.com/forums/thread1162.html

Congrats on your SRA!

Up Quark
    Country
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by McFred View Post
    We were planning to go to the Eagle Canyon charity event on Dec 8th with the AA2 and Cresson's just the other side of Ft Worth with a Driver's Edge gig on the Sunday the 9th. I'd love the chance to hit both tracks while I'm in the area. I just haven't researched what all's required to attend the MSR event.

Link to December 8th event.
    http://arielatomchat.com/forums/thread1162.html

Congrats on your SRA!
    Looks like Driver's Edge is running the 3.1 on the 8th and 9th, so members are out for the weekend. It's a great group, but the events fill up fast and you have to pay for both days even if you only come for one. I will likely be running on the member day out there Friday the 7th if you can make it out. Just let me know. Motorsport Ranch 1.3 Mile Road Course

Eagle's Canyon is a great track. I want to take the Atom over there for sure! A word of warning though on the EC charity drive, they will let ANYONE in ANY car on the track for that event that can pay $50 regardless of skill level. They divided us into 3 groups: really fast regulars at EC, those that had some track experience and had run at EC before and those that had not ever run EC before regardless of experience. I was in the later group and it was scary how bad the driving was. They would not bump me to the next run group until after lunch and a check ride. If I had it all to do over again, I would have lied to get in the next group up and I would have not gridded up behind the "24 hours of lemons" car that was throwing off parts down the straights. It cost me a splitter. YMMV.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast