Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: LED Turn & Brake Signal Options?

LED Turn & Brake Signal Options?

Any consensus on LED turn and brake signal replacements? I don't mind the stock lens covers, but I'd love to swap out the bulbs for LEDs, and keep it as hassle-free as possible.

Country
    United States

Re: LED Turn & Brake Signal Options?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve
    Any consensus on LED turn and brake signal replacements? I don't mind the stock lens covers, but I'd love to swap out the bulbs for LEDs, and keep it as hassle-free as possible.
    The problem with re-using the stock housings is that they aren't very good. You'll still have problems with LED bulbs popping out, the plastic becoming brittle and the lens covers falling off, and so on.

The choice of drop-in replacements is limited, since the originals are a Rover size never used on US Rover models.

I'm using the original style ("Go Devices") that Mobile Centre (in the UK) sold. After some preventive modifications to prevent failure, they've been working perfectly for 12,000+ miles:

My Atom at AtomFest II, photographer unknown (compilation DVD)

The current ones the sell are from a different manufacturer, and Tim from Mobile Centre tells me they'll work without modification on an Atom. Link

Other owners have installed different types of LEDs - there are a number of pictures over at the Atom Club.
    An Atom Across America blog - http://www.atomacrossamerica.org Brammo Atom 300 Ecotec - 08/2006 build
    Note - if any image I included or link I posted is broken, change "tmk.com "to "glaver.org" in the URL to fix it.

Neutron
    Country
    United States

I've been meaning to figure out something for the bulb holders. Like a simple aluminum disc with a bulb holder at the center with an LED bulb. lets see what I can come up with now that I have some tools to work with metal
    the high profile toy thrower

Country
    United States

Quote Originally Posted by bolus
    I've been meaning to figure out something for the bulb holders. Like a simple aluminum disc with a bulb holder at the center with an LED bulb. lets see what I can come up with now that I have some tools to work with metal
    That should let you re-use the existing lenses, which are about the only part of the stock lights that don't fail. You'll need to replace the lens mounting screws with machine screws to attach them to your discs.

You will also probably want to re-use the black rubber gasket between the lens and the socket - you'll need to cut out the center as it fits over the base of the standard socket.

Super Bright LEDs has a huge variety of LED lamps here. With a new housing design you won't need to worry about the clearance issues that plague the original socket when trying to use LED replacements. That page also lists bare sockets.

Edit: If it helps the project, I have a bunch of new-in-the-bag spare lenses and a bunch of new complete housings that I'd part with as a lot pretty cheaply.
    An Atom Across America blog - http://www.atomacrossamerica.org Brammo Atom 300 Ecotec - 08/2006 build
    Note - if any image I included or link I posted is broken, change "tmk.com "to "glaver.org" in the URL to fix it.

Lepton
    Country
    United States

I'm doing a fully custom setup with LED Light bars that I bought from here: http://www.customdynamics.com/knight..._light_bar.htm

Inspiration was from this setup:

I have a set of front stalks that I am cutting off the madonnas and welding on flat metal for these:

Will have one white LED bar for the foglights on the inside of the stalk, and one amber for the turn signal like the atom above on the outside.

In the rear I am using the same bars. One red/smokes for brake and amber for turn. I am either going to fab a bar for them to go horizontal near where the rear madonnas are, or potentially mount them diagonally on the frame between the upper and lower A-arm mount points. Thoughts?

Here's my rear setup in smoke and then the orange above.

They are Harley approved and guaranteed for life to not burn out, so vibration should not be a problem.

Jason
    2011 Ariel Atom Not Supercharged
    2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged

Country
    United States

Quote Originally Posted by Payne
    I'm doing a fully custom setup with LED Light bars that I bought from here: http://www.customdynamics.com/knight_ri ... ht_bar.htm

Inspiration was from this setup:
    I like it - it seems to suit the Atom much better than the round beehive lights.

Country
    United States

Quote Originally Posted by Terry Kennedy
    I like it - it seems to suit the Atom much better than the round beehive lights.
    I agree.
    "Opportunities do not come to those who wait; they are captured by those who attack."

Neutron
    Country
    United States

Those are pretty cool. I'd like to keep the CF housings that I have and so will try and make a simple replacement of the white plastic housings that hold the light bulbs that tends to be the biggest issue. I've had 3 of them crack fall apart now.

http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-b...rake-turn.html

I ordered a set of these LED's and the bases

I'm going cut a round base out of aluminum and make the mounts for the screws to the lenses and for the bases using rivet nuts so I dont have to weld anything. side view

Neutron
    Country
    United States

prototype working out so far

Neutrino
    Country
    United States

I'm not going to repost my entire turn signal set up but, I purchased LED lights that are used on 18 wheeler trailers.

they are almost identical in size to the factory housing, they can be held onto the factory stalks with double sided tape (going on 3 years now) and all you need is a LED specific flasher, and another control module to combine brake / turn into one lamp.

fronts are clear w/ yellow led's

Last edited by Steve; July 5, 2011 at 07:56 AM.

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast